Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
borgiaj
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Borgia

Solaris 10 File Level Restore

Post by borgiaj »

All,

We recently purchased Veeam and I'm doing some testing, but I'm having a problem. I have a Solaris 10 VM running in vSphere. I am able to perform file level restores with my Windows and Red Hat VMs, but when I try to do a file level restore with Solaris, after it builds the FLR appliance, it seems to connect me to the appliance directly rather than show me files to restore existing on the VM. All I see is a "Log" folder with three folders beneath it - apache2, tinyproxy, and VeeamBackup.

It never shows a directory tree from the guest Solaris OS that I would expect to see. I have configured the FLR to be running on the same network as the VM. I have also had the FLR built on the same host where the VM currently resides.

Any help would be great. I feel like there's some small detail I'm missing somewhere.

Joe
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Solaris 10 File Level Restore

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I moved your post to the vSphere forum as you seem to be are backing up a VM from VMware.

If you meet the system requirements and it does not work, please contact support. Please do also post the case number here for reference.

Thanks,
Hannes
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

In that system requirements information, under the Solaris requirements, can you explain this to me?

ZFS (except any pool versions of Oracle Solaris)

These are Solaris 10 x86 systems which run from ZFS file systems. I'll also be using this with Solaris 11, which natively builds ZFS file systems for the operating system.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I'm not a Solaris expert, but what you write is that we don't support FLR for your configuration. I installed Solaris 11 to verify and I get the same issue you describe.

The workaround would be to use instant VM recovery (maybe combined with virtual lab) for universal restore
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

So what you're saying is, if I've built my Solaris 10/11 systems using ZFS file systems, I won't be able to do a file level recovery without restoring the entire VM.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
not exactly, but similar :-)

I say you can use Instant VM recovery without restoring the entire VM. IVMR just streams the VM directly from the backup via NFS. That means your Solaris will be up and running in a few minutes and you can do a manual copy.

The only thing to take care of is that you don't run into duplicate IP issues.

To avoid that, you could use virtual labs / surebackup jobs with the "Select the Keep the application group running after the job completes check box". Then you would login to the production solaris. From production, copy files from the backup solaris in the virtual lab

Best regards,
Hannes
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

It appears that the Veeam agent for Solaris would allow for a straight forward file level restore. Is there any particular reason why I would not want to install the agent for Solaris onto a VM?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

technically no reason not to use it. there are two reasons why I did not suggest it
- today there is no integration with VBR. It's a standalone product
- it requires additional licenses as there is no instance based licensing for the Solaris agent today
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

I guess I didn't realize the the agent didn't integrate with Veeam Backup and Recovery. You're basically backing up to an NFS directory. I'll have to check out the Instant VM recovery to see how that goes.

Thanks for the help though.