Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tomas Snajdar
Influencer
Liked: never

Installing Veeam Agent from MS machine

Post by Tomas Snajdar »

Dear Support,

I need advice in installing Veeam Agent for Windows Physical Machine with configuration to using Veeam Repository server as storage.

I need to install this Agent and create Backup job, where Veeam Server will managing that Agent and job. I know that standard way is to created Protected group and from there push Agent installation to target machine where will be Agent installed. For this case needs to be opened port for SMB protocol. Our policy restricting to use SMB, so we need to find another way how to install Agents.

Configuration Agent job on physical machine:

Option 1:
Process where Agent needs connect to Veeam server: standard for this process is to use port 10001. With this port, configuration complete successfully, but Backup job is managed by Agent and that is not acceptable for us.

Option 2:
Process where Agent needs connect to Veeam server: standard for this process is to use port 10005. With this port, configuration complete unsuccessful, with error message:
"Unable to obtain a Veeam Agent for Windows license from the backup server. Failed to connect to remote backup service".

Access Permission for Agent access to repository is configured to "Allow to everyone".

My question is:

Is there any way, how to install Veeam Agent to physical Windows machines and did not use SMB protocol for that ?

If yes, then how ? Which port needs to be use via Agent configuration to successfully connect to Veeam Server and download license to use Agent correctly.

PS: Yes, we have license which support Agent backups and we have enough free license for that.

Our Support ID is: 01139679

Thank you for your advice and have a nice day.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Installing Veeam Agent from MS machine

Post by Mike Resseler »

Tomas,

When manually installing the agent (but no configuration). If you then add the protected computer to VBR, I believe it show up in the unmanaged node (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4)
Tomas Snajdar
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Replication Jobs Failing With Connection Errors - 02023509

Post by Tomas Snajdar »

Hello Mike and thank you for your reaction,

but this solution once again need to have opened port for SMB protocal which is not allowed in our company.

I need somehow change standard free Agent to licensed Agent, which download license from target Veeam Server, but without using any 445 or etc. port.

I will do some another testing with Network team to simulate our environment, but I do not think, that your solution will works for us.

Could I wrote here after few days when I do some tests ?

Have a nice day.