Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
FillDee
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Phil Dalton

"Failed to search installed packages"

Post by FillDee »

I have the community edition installed on a VM and it connects to one of my Hyper-V hosts just fine. On the other one, when trying to add it to the console, I get the following error: "Failed to search installed packages" once I get past the credentials screen. I have tried multiple admin creds, installed HV integration and transport packages manually on the target and turned the firewall off, but it didn't help. Note, it did have a very old version of HV Intergration that had to be force removed a while ago, as the uninstall was failing. (Force removed by removing all Veeam references from the registry and deleting the Veeam folders). Anybody any idea what might be causing this or do I have to rebuild the host?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: "Failed to search installed packages"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Phil,

To be honest I'd recommend you to rebuild the backup server from scratch but let wait for the support team investigation results as they might have a better idea based on the application debug log information. Cheers!
FillDee
Novice

Post by FillDee »

Nothing wrong with the backup server. It talks to the other Hyper-V host perfectly. Its adding the 2nd host that has issues....
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Phil,

Thank you for the clarification (for some reason I read that you are setting up a second Veeam B&R server), let's leave the setup as it and lets wait for the feedback from the support team.
FillDee
Novice

Post by FillDee »

Well, after forcing me to log a support call (my first post was rejected...), it seems support are too busy to even try and help me. It's been closed and they direct me to here for help....
So, anybody got any idea's what I can try and what, exactly, it's trying to search for?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Phil,

First: I do have an idea since I had seen this before. Mostly this means there is a profile corruption on your host and there is an issue with the installer service. Please check if you can install other software can install or not. Instead of starting with a rebuild of the host (which will fix this most likely for sure) try to check the installer service.

Second: Can you pass me the support case ID that you had? Not happy that they deferred you to here...
FillDee
Novice

Post by FillDee »

Thanks Mike. The ID is #03541212
I tried a manual install of HV integration and transport packages and they both worked fine. Not sure if that counts as what you mean here. I also tried with multiple admin accounts, if that is what you meant by profile corruption.