Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DamienL
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Cloud Connect vs Azure blob storage

Post by DamienL »

Good morning :D ,
Currently we are using Veeam Cloud Connect (9.5u3a) and we are thinking about upgrading to the latest version of Veeam.
We would like to go to Azure as a cloud externalization for backups but i didn't find the pro/cons and limits for Cloud Connect vs Azure Blob Storage. Did you have thid kind of paper (also in term of costing)? :?

As far i understood regarding the implementation of the Azure blob storage, it is currently only available to be used as an scale out archive repository, i.e. used to move Old backups off to, this would work but with the current requirements to keep eg more than X days of backups onsite any data held in Azure would be at least X days old.
We are looking at having a much more up to date copy offsite, from the best of my knowledge this is not currently something Veeam support with Azure blob (maybe i'm wrong), :|
With Azure blob storage, it currently has to be a scale out backup repository. It also requires the Capacity Tier policy, where it copies the backups from the local source to Azure blob and then removes them from the local source.

So the goal is to have the backups on the cloud and be available in case of restoration needed. :mrgreen:
rajesh.r988
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN

Re: Veeam Cloud Connect vs Azure blob storage

Post by rajesh.r988 »

You need On-prem Veeam BR server
you can create Veeam BR server in Azure - Mount blob storage to that server
Connect using cloud Connent and offload your data
DamienL
Service Provider

Post by DamienL »

Hello,

Currently we are using Veeam Cloud Connect and we have already a local veeam server + cloud gateway.
We are able to restore VMs/Files ... we want to study the go to Azure blob directly.
As far i understand with blob it's deleting local backups (backups that we want to keep). With the current requirements to keep 45 days of backups onsite any data held in Azure would be at least 45 days old. We to keep 45/60 days of backups onsite which means that only backups on 46 days and older would sent offsite to Azure no ? We want to externalize every day fresh data to Azure so i don't know if ussing directly blob storage is the right way.
Another way is to create another backup copy repository folder on a NAS/shared folder. It would be used as cache, where backups would copy first locally to this folder. Then it would copy off to the Azure blob storage, and remove from the cache. For a brief period of time, there would be 2 sets of backups on the NAS, one temporary for Azure blob and one permanent. What do you think ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

DamienL wrote: Apr 26, 2019 9:47 amAnother way is to create another backup copy repository folder on a NAS/shared folder. It would be used as cache, where backups would copy first locally to this folder. Then it would copy off to the Azure blob storage, and remove from the cache. For a brief period of time, there would be 2 sets of backups on the NAS, one temporary for Azure blob and one permanent. What do you think ?
Your scenario is not possible to achieve today, but this is something we're working on adding in the next release. Thanks!
DamienL
Service Provider

Post by DamienL »

Hello Gostev,

Thanks for your reply. :D
Your scenario is not possible to achieve today, but this is something we're working on adding in the next release. Thanks!
What do you mean ? it's not possible to do it with the current Veeam release ? It's not included in 9.5U4a release to do it directly with Blob but we can put in place this scenario no ? by copy job or something else ? :P

When did you plan to release this functionnality ? in 6 month ? 8)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Correct, this is exactly what I meant.

Unfortunately, we don't announce future release dates.
DamienL
Service Provider

Post by DamienL »

Thanks.
So we cannot externalize in 3-2-1 to Azure blob storage as we need to have all the data available on the azure.

1/ Backup on SAN
2/ Backup copy to VTL
3/ Backup copy to Cloud

Did you have a whitepaper regarding blob limit ?
DamienL
Service Provider

Post by DamienL »

Hello,

Does anyone can help me on this topic please ?

Have a nice day :) !
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello Daniel, I am not aware of existence of any whitepapers regarding "blob limit". Thanks!