Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Jimmy9008
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy Grollman

Veeam B&R 9.5 with Server & Tape Library...

Post by Jimmy9008 »

Hi folks,

I am looking to use Veeam B&R 9.5, could you please tell me if I am thinking about this correctly? My first time with Veeam, so I could be thinking the wrong way...

1) Buy a server with 2 x 8 core CPUs, 64GB RAM, 10 GbE and maybe 10 x 8TB drives in OBR10

2) Buy a Tape Library like PowerValult TL1000, with 7 x LTO7 tapes

The server would use Windows Server 2019 Standard (non-domain joined), and I would install B&R and B&E to this server.

Local server disks (10 x 8TB OBR10) would be for the backup repository presented as the D drive. Only a small C drive for Windows/Veeam.

The B&R server would be given credentials to our Hyper-V hosts/VMs/domain, so that Veeam can backup our infrastructure over the 10 GbE LAN. I think that all makes perfect sense so far, am I missing anything?

Next, the Tape Library. I have not used one of these. I imagine I can setup the Veeam job to do an initial 10 day retention to the local array, then purge to the tape? If not, how does that get setup? Do I connect the TL to the server directly over SAS? Or, does this need to be connected to the LAN/10GbE for Veeam to communicate to the TL? Which TLs are supported by Veeam?

Best,
J
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam B&R 9.5 with Server & Tape Library...

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community J,

Your setup looks good.
I imagine I can setup the Veeam job to do an initial 10 day retention to the local array, then purge to the tape?

Yes, that will work. Please keep in mind that data is not being removed from disk repository (i.e. tape jobs only create a secondary copy). Once the device is connected and registered in Veeam B&R console you can setup file to tape jobs or backup to tape jobs depending on your need.
Do I connect the TL to the server directly over SAS? Or, does this need to be connected to the LAN/10GbE for Veeam to communicate to the TL?
Kindly, take a look at Supported Devices and Configuration and Tape Devices Deployment Help Center articles.
Which TLs are supported by Veeam?
Any LTO device (starting LTO3 generation). Cheers!
Jimmy9008
Influencer

Post by Jimmy9008 »

If I remove data from the primary backup store, will that remove from tape too?

Does tape deal with modified data? Does tape get every single incremental? How does it deal with removing the oldest incrimental from the backup chain...?
Jimmy9008
Influencer

Post by Jimmy9008 »

I guess, is each tape copy a full copy or invrement?
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Tape jobs are a separate job that runs on a schedule you define (and will move which types of restore points you want). You can run them daily and have them backup up incremental files to tape, or you can use them to just back up the latest full when they run.

Deleting a backup from disk does nothing to the data on the tape. The expiration of backups that are on tape is defined in the tape media pool.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect