Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
athome
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anders Thome

Migrate old backup/archive from repository on Data Domain

Post by athome »

Hi!

I'm currently working with a customer that has Veeam and two older Data domains containing old backups. The DDs are no longer under warrenty/contract and I would like to migrate some of the older backups to new server/repository(yearly backups)
The old backups are on both ddboost repository as well as cifs, the new server has REFS.

What is the recomended way of doing this? I guess REFS storage optimization will not work if I in Veeam just copy the files from old repository to new? Can I create a set of copy-jobs that migrate this? its about 10-20TB of data and the old DDs are running 1gbit :-|

A
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Migrate old backup/archive from repository on Data Domain

Post by bdufour » 1 person likes this post

you can start a new backup chain on the new hardware and keep the old DDs in production until the new chain has the retention you're after. i have some old DDs on my network, that i repurposed to use for non critical storage, never had an issue with them. ive powered them down, and back on several times and they have been rock solid, so i speak from experience.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, starting a new chain is recommended since ReFS benefits will take effect after a new active full anyway.
ers_kentwick
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kent Wick

Post by ers_kentwick »

You didn't say how large individual backups are but if they aren't too large (< 1 TB) and you have the space in a datastore, you could create a new host as a repository (without ReFS), do the "copy backup" to that new host (which would rehydrate the backup). Then, from the new host, do a "copy backup" to the final target. Once you're done, then just get rid of the "new host".

Since you say that your interface is 1 Gbit then I would believe that would be the limiting factor about how fast (or slow) the backup copy would run.