Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

New Install

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
I'm installing Veeam Monitor for the first time. The Microsoft SQL 2005/ 2008 is installed on the server. Now, when I start the Installation process (Veema Monitor), the step of where a database needs to be be setuped. I'm a bit confused, The "Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition" is greyed out. I assume its because SQL is already installed.

Now, the instance says SQLSERVER\INSTANCE, the Database says VeemMonitor. If I leave it or change it then ir errors in the next. Telling me "Checking Connection", then Unable to connect to the specified Server .... Server does not exist or access denied. Continue anyway".

My permissions are not the issue. But I'm not sure of what the issue is? Can anyone assist?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: New Install

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dennis, have you tried specifying a local SQL Server manually to deploy a Veeam Monitor database?
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

I haven't.
What are the teps to do so?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...what I was referring to in my previous post was that when you are on a wizard step asking for the SQL server, try specifying localhost\YOUR_INSTANCE and click to continue, does it make any difference?
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

Im new with Veeam Monitor and have no manual or anything so I might ask a few "crazy" questions.

1. The SQL server: Is this a brand new sql db that will have all the nessesary data saved on it? or is this my existing db from the veeam backaup & replication?

2. Veeam Monitor: Does it have to be setup on the Veeam backup and replication server? or can it be setup on a separate server? If it don't matter, is there a difference in performance?

Thx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

flavor4real wrote:1. The SQL server: Is this a brand new sql db that will have all the nessesary data saved on it? or is this my existing db from the veeam backaup & replication?
That's right. Veeam will deploy a brand new database for storing performance data on your SQL Server.
flavor4real wrote:2. Veeam Monitor: Does it have to be setup on the Veeam backup and replication server? or can it be setup on a separate server? If it don't matter, is there a difference in performance?
Not at all, you can deploy Veeam Monitor database on any server. Basically, I recommend splitting those products on different servers in performance considerations.

By the way, have you managed to install Veeam Monitor already? Has your issue been resolved? If this is not the case, you can contact our support team for assistance if needed.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

I was not able to install the Veeam monitor on the Server where Veeam Backup, and the 2005/2008 MS SQL Configuration tools are located.

the "install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition" is greyed out. Is there a way for me to force it ? Or Can I bypass it? I only have the SQL2005/2008 configuration tools installed and did not find an option to creat a new SQL instance, which then i could point to during veeam monitor install.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'm not sure it is possible to force the installation, but I will be able to give you a definite answer tomorrow after consulting to a dev team. However, I do suggest contacting our support team so that our engineers could assist you with the installation via webex.

There is no need to create a new SQL instance, you should be able to use existing instance to deploy a Veeam Monitor database.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

I tried to before but webex is not a solution because I'm on a restricted installation and per policies it's a no-go.
I'll be on stand by, maybe u got some new for me today. thx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dennis, you can just send a screenshot of your error to our support team for a qicker assistance, though based on the description from your post earlier:
flavor4real wrote:Now, the instance says SQLSERVER\INSTANCE, the Database says VeemMonitor. If I leave it or change it then it errors in the next.
Have you tried typing localhost\existing_instance_name?
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

yup didn't worked .. i'll send a screen shot to the support. thanks
turnerggg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg Turner

Post by turnerggg »

as always, the post is frustrating because NEVER ANY SOLUTION POSTED ! ! what is the point exactly of these forums?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Greg,

I cannot update this topic with the resolution because the OP haven't mentioned his ticket number. If you have any technical problem please open a support ticket with our team as it is explained when you click New Topic.

The main idea behind these forums is described in this post, please have a look.

Thanks.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

The submitted ticket somehow got overlooked so I troubleshooted by myself and
I found a solution and wanted to share.

SQL 2005 and 2008 was installed on the VM so I removed both SQL versions and the Veeam Monitor, restarted. Then I've started the Veeam Monitor Installation and let the SQL setup install from there. That seemed to work.

I apologize for the late respond. The Ticket got overlooked and Once I found a solution other issues on something else occurred and I forgot to update the post.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dennis, many thanks for the update.