Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Individual Database/Mailbox Backup

Post by rogerdu »

Is there a methodology to backup one database or Mailbox?

Thanks,

Roger
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Individual Database/Mailbox Backup

Post by wishr »

Hi Roger,

You are talking about SQL and Exchange, right? Could you please let us know your use-case?

There is KB for setting up SQL DB AAIP exclusions. When you exclude a DB from AAIP processing VSS writer will not freeze the DB, so you'll get a crash consistent DB backup.

As for Exchange, the only workaround is temporary dismounting databases that you do not want to be backed up.

Thanks
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Post by rogerdu »

Yes, sorry I was referring to Exchange and SQL in this case. I understand that there are methodologies to restore a single item (down to a message in Exchange or a transaction in SQL) but was wondering if there was a way to do the same (not necessarily to the same granularity) at Backup time.

My customer didn't give me a use case, but I was thinking of say a final backup of a mailbox before a user is deleted, or a point in time backup of a database for litigation or financial reasons.

I'm not familiar with the command line, so was hoping there was a way to specify there... I totally understand if not, just inquiring.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Thank you for the comments.

Of course, it would be better to understand the customer requirements in details, but based on your inputs it looks like the following:
  • Final backup of a mailbox before a user is deleted: currently, this can be achieved by aligning the mailbox deletion procedures with the backup schedule. Obviously, the aforementioned database exclusion is not a good workaround in this case.
  • Point in time backup of a database for litigation or financial reasons: usually you'd like to back up the whole set of databases along with the transaction logs to be able to comply with regulations and in order to perform a granular restore. This does not require any specific configurations - just ensure the backup schedule and retention meet requirements and enable SQL T-log handling within the backup job. You'll be able to restore to a required point in time. Moreover, you can restore your DB in a specific condition to a new location and perform required actions with the data. Imagine if you are missing a backup of a particular database - any forensic task will become a tough challenge.
Hope this helps!

BR,
Fedor