Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
HErceg
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Hrvoje Erceg

Veeam VM temporary migration

Post by HErceg »

Hi,

I recently started to use Veeam and so far I am delighted with it's performance.

My Veeam is installed on dedicated VM, with only a few jobs and a light load.Now I am planning to reinstall host server soon.I checked several topics regarding migration best practice, but i don't see simplest solution mentioned, which is kind of strange.
Plan is to shut down Veeam VM, export it to external disk, reinstall host OS(Windows Server 2016) and then import VM through Hyper-v console.I guess this should work just fine, but I would be grateful if someone else could confirm it.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam VM temporary migration

Post by wishr »

Hi Hrvoje,

You can use Configuration Backup for this purpose. Simply make a backup, wipe the server, reinstall host OS, install latest B&R version from scratch, then restore the configuration from the configuration backup.

Thanks
HErceg
Enthusiast

Post by HErceg »

Thank you.
So it is not recommended to simply export/import Veeam VM?Is there a downside to this?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Correct, this scenario is not supported. Configuration backup has been made for this purpose.
HErceg
Enthusiast

Post by HErceg »

Hi Wishr,

Sorry to bother once more, but I was wondering why is not supported?
My system is quite simple:
Local domain
Hyper-V host - I need to reinstall it
VM(lets call it BackupServer) dedicated for Veeam only and SQL Server Express with Veeam database.It needs an hour a night to finish all backup tasks.

Idea was to shut down BackupServer, do a Hyper-V VM export, reinstall Hyper-V and import BackupServer VM back to Hyper-V.
This way it could feel BackupServer with Veeam was only turned off temporarily, and then started again.Am I right or I am missing something?

Other question is if Veeam VM export/import is not supported, then probably moving it via Hyper-V Live Migration is also not supported?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Hrvoje,

The reason is quite simple: there is no guarantee that your B&R server will operate properly after that. In case of an issue, the only way to restore the server will imply complete reinstallation and reconfiguration (or config. backup restore). Of course, you may give it a try, but it's not recommended, not supported officially, and moreover, both of these scenarios have not been tested by our QA teams. However, there are still chances they will work out, just make sure BIOS UUID won't change.

You may use it on your own risk, but please do not forget to do a configuration backup!

Regards,
Fedor
HErceg
Enthusiast

Post by HErceg »

Hi Wishr,

What about Hyper-V live migration?Can I migrate Veeam server to second Hypper-v server until first physical server is offline?
Seems much quicker solution then installing Veeam server again.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Yes, you may give it a try. As I mentioned above this scenario has not been tested either but should work. Please make sure you have an actual configuration backup.

Thanks
HErceg
Enthusiast

Post by HErceg » 1 person likes this post

If someone is interested I migrated VMs as per posts above and then migrated them back.Everything went fine.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Hrvoje,

Thanks for sharing the outcome with the community, it's highly appreciated!

Regards,
F