Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ThomasDeVit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas De Vit

Selection & Scheduling

Post by ThomasDeVit »

I have a SharePoint site with a Document library that contains a critical file for our ORG that I need to backup monthly and keep indefinitely.

I have setup Veeam for Office 365 and was able to backup the entire site but I cannot seem to be able to select a folder only or a file only. Is there a way around it?

Furthermore, the scheduling only allows me to set daily backups or periodic ones. I need a monthly backup.

In regards to my requirements, what would be the bets to achieve it with the VEEAM options?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Selection & Scheduling

Post by nielsengelen »

Specific folders for SharePoint is, currently, not possible. You'll have to back up the specific site which contains the folder/file to have a backup.

As a workaround for a monthly backup, you can make a job which is not scheduled and use a PowerShell script which starts the job and use the Windows task manager however I would advise making a backup of it every day and just use our scheduler. Is there a specific reason why you only want to back it up once per month if it is a critical file?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
ThomasDeVit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas De Vit

Post by ThomasDeVit »

Having a daily backup that backs up the entire site will consume a lot of disk space and since we have retention requirements almost indefinite I am not sure this will work in the long term.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thomas,

As Niels states... That is rather impossible to do since SharePoint works with objects such as lists / libraries / Webparts… Everything which is "inside" will be protected once you select it. It is some sort of file system, but not really...

What I would suggest for your specific case is to use a SharePoint workflow or similar to copy that file to a dedicated, secret O365 group's OneDrive for Business and create a specific job to protect that one specifically. (Or a dedicated teamsite would work also but maybe overkill)