Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ajbloor
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Bloor

AWS Storage Gateway

Post by ajbloor »

I have a configuration whereby we are using Veeam to secure a 100% virtual (VMware) environment to local storage on a daily basis. The total capacity of a full backup is 18TB.

We are using a Reverse Incremental job to secure the data on an incremental forever basis. However - we have the requirement to get a copy of the Month End backup offsite and intend to perform this to cloud based storage. I have been researching the AWS Storage Gateway (VTL) as an option, and am interested to hear any thoughts on this approach. We don't need the daily backups offsite (although it would be nice) but do need to keep 12 monthly backups and 7 yearly backups offsite. I want to avoid if possible having to upload 18TB each month end, but can this be avoided and if so how is this done ?

At present we have a VM running in the public cloud with storage presented back to our Veeam server on-prem - but this is proving to be an expensive option (in the customers view).

Any ideas on a 'smart' approach appreciated.

AJ.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: AWS Storage Gateway

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, you can use the AWS storage gateway in VTL mode for this approach. https://www.veeam.com/wp-using-aws-vtl- ... guide.html
Interessting side note is that you could export the tapes automatically and configure the storage gateway in a way to store this on Glacier.

But as you have a solution today, I would wait for Update 4 and use the Cloud Tier functionallity.
Basically you cerate a backup copy job to a local storage (think about it as stageing and to keep another copy there). Then configure GFS processing with monthly fulls and define that they will be transported to the AWS S3 cloud. We use special deduplication engine there, so that the transport to the cloud is very efficient.
baccamgary
Lurker
Full Name: Gary Baccam

Post by baccamgary »

Hi Ajbloor,

I am in the same situation as you were... We are using Veeam to beackup our virtual (VMware) environment to local storage on a daily basis.

We're using performing Incremental jobs to secure the data on an incremental forever basis and performing Active Fulls on the weekends. We also require to get a full copy of a monthly backup offsite and want to perform this via cloud based storage (AWS S3).

I too have researched and setup the AWS Storage Gateway (VTL) but found it slow and it doesn't go to an S3 bucket...

Any advice on the approach appreciated and what worked for you?

Thank you,
Gary B
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

We had good performance on the VTL side... And it goes to S3 buckets.. see the configuration guide above.

The gateway use local cache to write it first. So maybe your local storage was not fast enough ?
isteele@vology.com
Service Provider
Full Name: Ian

Post by isteele@vology.com »

Can i preseed my VTL with AWS Snowball?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This is a sort of a question that is better to be addressed to AWS than to Veeam.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It seems that there is a workaround available, which you can get by creating post in this thread. Thanks!