Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Trin
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Virtual B&R server - "Reconfiguring virtual machine"

Post by Trin » 1 person likes this post

I've recently set up a new B&R 9.5 server as a VM, which is also backing up our other VMs, and although it seems to be working fine, there do appear to be a lot of tasks in vSphere, during the backup job, relating to "Reconfiguring virtual machine" for the B&R server.

The server has 8 cores on 2 sockets, 16GB RAM and the job is running compression: "Optimal", optimization: "LAN target" (to a NAS over 1GbE link), 4 tasks at once.

It seems as though every time the backup job completes the process of backing up one of the other VMs, the B&R server needs to be reconfigured.

The question is; what exactly is being reconfigured, on the B&R server, after each VM has been backed up?

Many thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Virtual B&R server - "Reconfiguring virtual machine"

Post by Andreas Neufert »

This is because Virtual Appliance (HotAdd) backup mode is used. With that backup mode we create a VM snapshot and hotadd the VM disk to the Backup Server (Proxy), then perform backup and delete the hotadd.
Whenever Veeam add or remove the disk (hotadd processing) from the VM object of the B&R Server, you see the "Reconfiguring virtual machine" message in VMware. This message can be ignored as it is the way VMware HotAdd Backup works.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
smartguy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: sjkaie zwart

Post by smartguy »

Ok you can ignore them, but is it possible to suppress/disable those anoying eventwarnings for the Veeam server VM? I mean when you backup 200VM's de task&events monitor is overwhelmed with events..
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Yes, it is a native capability of vcenter.
https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?lang=en

EDIT: Statement not correct... please see below.
smartguy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: sjkaie zwart

Post by smartguy »

Maybe my search skills aren’t that good, but i can’t find anything like that or looking wrong..
Can you help me in the right direction?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi Sjkaie,

I am sorry, but I was not correct with it. We discussed this several times with customers in the past and they told me that they found a way, but I did not found this way documented in current vcenter versions. Maybe they referenced to their monitoring software.

Overall this processing is documented by VMware during normal hotadd operation and is therefore documented. As Veeam only performs specific tasks over the APIs we do not have influence on the task/warning/errors displayed within VMware vCenter.