Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
bloerr
Novice
Liked: never

localhost backup fails #03561872

Post by bloerr »

Hi,

I am using B&R Community Edtition in some Active Directorys, all is working fine including Backing Up the Backup Server itself.

Now I am using the Software with a customer without an AD. B&R fails backing up the local host at rescan with "15.05.2019 12:10:25 :: Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to localhost Error: Der Benutzername oder das Kennwort ist falsch." (username/passwort wrong).

I have created a Physical Group "Servers" and put localhost inside. Pressing "Test Credentials" says everything is ok, Connection Okay. But the rescan still fails.
I have disabled all firewall and uninstalled the installed Agent. It reinstalls by clicking on "Apply" at group management.

So the credentials must be OK. What is the problem here?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: localhost backup fails #03561872

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Have you tried specifying the IP address instead of the localhost entry? Also, if you want to protect the backup server itself, why not to use a standalone Veeam Agent which acts independently from the Veeam B&R server?

Thanks!
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I tried localhost, 127.0.0.1, the IP itself and its DNS Name.

I don't think that it is an authentification problem, because when I click on "test", the credentials are okay.

the only thing that the customer wants: 2 independent Backups Jobs for localhost. And that only because he wants to backup to USB HDD1 on Mo, Mi and Fri Backups, USB HDD2 on Tu und Thu.

WIth Veeam Agent for Windows Free, I only can create one Job with Backup to one USB HDD.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Ok, then keep working with our support team and please post back the solution for future readers. Thanks!
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

Thank you.

But they cancelled the Ticket. There is too much to do with paying Users.

Ich understand it, but I am not able to resolve the issue for myself. So I am forced to Choose another Software.
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

Nobody there who has any idea what to do?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

What was the reason for the closure? These forums cannot assist you with logs review, but I can ask our QC team to reproduce it once they have time.
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

The reason was that they simply dont have enough time to take Care of my question. There is no promised Service for Community Users. Thats OK for me, but In would be very Happy to find a solution for this simple Problem.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Without logs investigation and R&D team involvement it is hard to troubleshoot it via forums, so opening a case later might end up in the support queue. BTW, do you see the same issue on another machine without AD by any chance?
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

I am having nearly identical Setups without ad.there were never Problems Like this. If It says wrong credentials, it really was wrong credentials. But this time the credentials are definitely correct.
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

Vitaliy S. wrote: May 29, 2019 11:44 am Got it! Without logs investigation and R&D team involvement it is hard to troubleshoot it via forums, so opening a case later might end up in the support queue. BTW, do you see the same issue on another machine without AD by any chance?
Is there any Log Investigation i can do for myself?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can export Veeam B&R logs via this wizard and try to locate the error message which happened at the time you started a job. Additionally, try reproducing the same issue on another machine to check if this is a machine-specific error or not.
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

It is machine specific.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Good, now we need to understand what is different on this machine compared to others. Is the OS different?
bloerr
Novice

Post by bloerr »

It is Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5. I removed all Antivirus and Firewall and disabled Defender and Firewall for Testing.

The only special thing that is different from some other working Systems with Windows 10 pro is that there is another sql Express instance running.

As the machine only fails with local Backups, i dont think that the sql Express matters.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it does not matter. Are there any errors in the Windows Event log of the affected machine?
troubleshootingbot
Lurker

Post by troubleshootingbot »

This is what fixed it for me:

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2011/08/acc ... windows-7/

We don't have a domain in this deployment. I was using a local User (not the original Administrator user) who belonged to the local "Administrators" group and since Veeam B&R Server tries to loop back to access localhost via network, that local user doesn't have Administrator rights when accessing remotely - even if it's localhost.

The solution is to use the local Administrator user, or disable "UAC remote restrictions" as described in the article above.