Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TheMonk
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Armitage

Veeam File Level Restore via app Volumes

Post by TheMonk »

So a while aback i posted asking about running veeam via an RDS (veeam-backup-replication-f2/can-the-bac ... 57529.html)

We wasnt able to resolve the issue but i werent overly bothered as we then decided we were going to run applications via app volumes and present them as App stacks.

My colleague has installed VBR and we're now onto the testing phase. When i open the console and log in its fine. My colleague has win the app stack given the path of C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Console admin rights so that the application can run.

I log on to the VDI as a non admin user and can open VBR. I can also open the AD explorer along with the SQL explorer. However if i try to restore a VMs guest files i get the following Error "value cannot be null.Parameter name:disposable object". The job gets added as "running" but stays in a "starting" state until the session is manully stopped

If i close VBR down and then re-open BUT open as a different user, one with domain admin rights, and then log into the console as my standard account the FLR then works?

What are we missing?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam File Level Restore via app Volumes

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Chris,

Most likely your non admin user has not the required rights to retrieve data from the mounted location. Therefore it should get a value at a certain point in time but doesn't receive it and the parameter becomes NULL and fails. I think that our engineers can see in the logs where the issue is (which probably is a few lines before this specific error). Can you create a support case, post the case ID here and let us know the outcome after investigation of our engineers?

Thanks
Mike
TheMonk
Influencer

Post by TheMonk »

Hi Mike

I thought this might be the case but the other explorers (AD, Exchange, and SQL) all work so surely they would be the same?

I'll be honest i'm little weary with opening a case because last time if i'm honest the engineer didn't seem to really understand trying to veaam via an app on a RDS or when i mentioned App volumes?

Im surprised actually with the integration Veeam has with VSphere etc theres no real documentation on using something like app volumes.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

If the other explorers work, then the actual "File level" mounting works also. Because we need to do the file-level mount first, and then read out the AD/ Exchange/ SQL database from there and display it in our explorer.

Maybe one last test. When you open the explorer, can you go to "windows explorer" from there? Then you would be able to see if the data is mounted or not
TheMonk
Influencer

Post by TheMonk »

Hi Mike

I agree and that was also my thoughts but the Explorer doesn't even open. I run a test on my actual serve and saw the folder created was "C:\VeeamFLR" my colleague has set permissions to give the user access rights on the VDI.

I run the AD object restore, the path creates on the C:\ and the explorer opens up. and i can proceed as normal.

I run restore guest files and i get a box show up stating "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: disposableObject" i click ok and i just return to the console. BUT if i look in th console and look at running jobs i can see the Guest File Restore sitting there as "Starting" and all i can do with it is stop session to end the "job"

Its a real head scratcher
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

You are right, it is a head scratcher :-)

I know you said you have a lesser experience with our support but I do believe they need to research the logs in depth and see where exactly it goes wrong. That might give us a clue where exactly we are missing rights or parameters or whatever this could be.
TheMonk
Influencer

Post by TheMonk »

ok

where will i find the logs that would be needed. i want to make sure i upload the correct bits
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can find all logs over here (either via Export option or manually): Logging
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hi,
just a guess... could you check msinfo32.exe > Software Environment > System Drivers for

- veeamflr
- virtualdk

I'm quite sure that they don't exist in the VDI installation.

Best regards,
Hannes