Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

RMAN Backup Copy

Post by ferrus »

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum - I'm not sure which is the correct one to use for the Enterprise Application Plug-ins, but I am backing up to a physical server :wink:

I have a three physical linux servers, each hosting a number of Oracle databases.
With the release of Update 4, we now have the ability to back these up using Veeam.
Our Oracle DBA has expressed a preference for keeping RMAN as the primary backup tool, and using the RMAN plugin for Veeam integration (which seems to reflect Veeam's recommendation here).

We've successfully created the first backup, on our local Veeam server storage - but I'd like to have these backups copied to our Data Domain, as with all of our VM backups.

I can't find a way of editing the auto-created Backup job, to create a secondary Backup Copy job, or a way to create a new BCJ and reference the RMAN backup.
I even looked at the Capacity Tier, in the SOBR setup - but that appears to be for Cloud services only.

Is there any way of setting up the equivalent of a BCJ to secondary storage, which removes the processing from the source server?
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Re: RMAN Backup Copy

Post by ferrus »

After posting this, I've just seen the Multiple Repository Deployment setup.

Presumably, that would keep the task open a lot longer however, for de-duplicating appliances?
And rely on the same GFS rotation?
ali.salman
Veeam Software
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Ali Salman

Post by ali.salman »

Hello,

Veeam V10 supports BCJ job RMAN backup.

For more information please refer to Veeam User Guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Kind Regards,
Ali
Kind Regards,
Ali Salman
ali.salman@veeam.com
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

Anyone else experiencing extremely slow performance on the Backup Copy jobs for RMAN backups?
It is transferring under 1MB/s compared to our normal VM backup copy jobs that has a throughput of 1-2 GB/s
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gert,

I'd recommend to contact our support team, our engineers will analyze debug logs in order to determine the "bottleneck".
Please don't forget to paste support case id here for our reference.

Thanks!
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie » 1 person likes this post

Hi PetrM

Just created an support case and uploaded logs. Let's see what your support can find :)

Case #04183869
domarc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Riccardo Grandi

RMAN SLOW PERFORMANCE Case 05089867

Post by domarc »

a linux machine with oracle linux 7.9 and oracle 19.13.0.0c have very very slow perfomance dooing rman backup using linux agent+RMAN agent

we tested with repository in datadomain and smb storage and local strage to veeam server
rman job stay freeze for long time and then present some peak of transfer
but few GB (5) of data take more than 40 minute to be processed

veeam version is 11.0.1.1261 and installed agent come with this version

direct transfer from linux server to veeam serve have perfomance arount 200MByte/sec Up and Down
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for sharing a support case ID! Apparently, it's not something that we can easily fix over forum posts because some additional performance testing of different infrastructural components and debug logs analysis are required. It would be best to let our engineers to continue to work on the issue. As far as I see, the support case has already been escalated and you have a quite active discussion with our engineer, let's see what they can find out.

Thanks!