Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Covert ntfs to Refs OR Azure Object Storage..

Post by frankive »

Case:
Customer has 35 TB of NTFS repository (with deduplication) and need extra space.
Is there a possibility to convert to Refs or we do need to add storage (volume) and dehydrate the backupfiles to the Refs?

Or is it possible to use their backup copy jobs direct to Azure Object Storage instead of buying new storage? THe problem is that the customer have a lot of GFS bacup chain which is not connected to a job by now, but can't be deleted to archive policy for the business. As far as I am concerned the Azure Object Storage only work with files in the backup copy jobs itselfs so we cant get this old backup chain into the object storage.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Covert ntfs to Refs OR Azure Object Storage..

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
unfortunately no for both due to limitations on Microsoft or Veeam side. Well, a migration to ReFS would not even help as block cloning requires a new active full backup.

If the customer does not really need the backups for restore, then I would move them to Azure e.g. with Microsoft storage explorer. In worst case you need to download the VM you want to restore from.

Best regards,
Hannes
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Re: Covert ntfs to Refs OR Azure Object Storage..

Post by frankive »

Hmm, not to bad idea. and the price for storageconsumption is the same i guess