Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rjlewis
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Lewis

Virtual Full to Tape Failed - Timeout

Post by rjlewis »

I am trying to work out the best method to perform a virtual full backup to tape on a Saturday after the daily incremental disk backup. The problem I find is that the tape backup now runs into late Sunday, and I see things like "Changes in source backup files detected, rescan required" in the job output. It seems that if the tape backup doesn't complete before Sunday's incremental disk backup, that the tape backup does a lot more work.

Last weekend (and the odd one before), the tape job ran into Monday morning and it then fails with a "Timed out waiting for running source jobs to complete" error.

What is a solution to stop the latter source jobs from affecting what we really want, which is a full backup as at Saturday morning? Is it to disable Sunday incremental to disk? Something fancy like a script to change restore points pre and post job?

I have raised a case #03572327.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Virtual Full to Tape Failed - Timeout

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I see two options today additionally what support wrote:

1) don't run all tape jobs on the same day. Spread them over the week.
2) if you use ReFS, then you could try switching to synthetic full backups (otherwise it would require much space). Depending on the customers environments this can be faster than virtual synthetic full backups

As already suggested by support, you can also use the "prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs"

Best regards,
Hannes
rjlewis
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Lewis

Re: Virtual Full to Tape Failed - Timeout

Post by rjlewis »

Hi Hannes,

The job is already configured to prevent it from being interrupted by source backup jobs.

The latest suggestion is to disable the Sunday incremental to disk.