Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pvk
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Pieter van Kampen

Retention policy restore points

Post by pvk »

Veeam is a wonderful product, but either I don't understand the retention policy or I am missing something.
In most products you can say something like keep a monthly backup 6 times, a weekly 5 times, and a daily for 14 days.

In Veeam this is (as far as I know) limited to keep x restore points. I make weekly synthetic backups, and as a started I would like to delete all incremental backups after the second week. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Pieter
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Retention policy restore points

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
The idea of the current concept is to ensure customers to meet the 3-2-1 rule. Because by the setting you mention, many customers would not copy the backups. If the backup device fails, then all backups are lost. Today the recommended concept is to use a backup copy job for GFS.

Both requests for improvement will be addressed in future.

Best regards,
Hannes
pvk
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Pieter van Kampen

Post by pvk »

Hi Hannes,
thanks. I am doing 3-2-1, but the offsite is just to ensure I have something in case the onsite is lost. So it is not for a long period of time, just weekly with 3 copies. The onsite has a raid with 2 extra drives and a hot spare, so hopefully that wont crash to soon.

What I need is for one of the backups jobs to keep it up to 6 months, but I do not have enough space to keep it with all in between retention points. I looked at GFS in the help, and it looks like what I want, but I am to dumb (apparently) to find how to configure it. Do you have some tips or pointers?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sure, I have two points to start

1) user guide
2) Veeam blog

Best regards,
Hannes