Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ccvcomputer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Pück

Help "Veeam Failed to retrieve Licence for 2 Users"?

Post by ccvcomputer »

Hello, we have just installed Veeam Backup for Office 365 for the first time at a customer. We had tested with our company account and demo before and everything ran smoothly. The customer bought a 10er license is also registered. When I add the organization with the admin all roles are green and I can create backups. There when I create the backup I also see all users and can also select them. Unfortunately it only backs up 3 out of 5 users in Office 365. In Onedrive for Business also only 2 at Info@ there is no Ondrive found. When I start the backup it is finished after about 5min with the warning: "Veeam Failed to retrieve Licence for 2 Users". What could be the reason. Veeam has a license of 10 Used 0? Thanks already for the help
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Help "Veeam Failed to retrieve Licence for 2 Users"?

Post by nielsengelen »

I would suggest to contact support for this and see what is causing this as it is hard to tell via the forums. If possible, please post the support case ID for future reference.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Simon,

First: Welcome to the forums
Second:
For the problem with the Info@ -> No Onedrive found, it means that nobody has ever "configured" or better said, connected to that onedrive although it exists. But since it is not initialized, we cannot connect to it. Which most probably means you are not using the O4B for those accounts. So what you can do is exclude OneDrive for those specific accounts. Then the warnings will go away.

For the license question, that failed to retrieve means we cannot retrieve the specific license for those specific users. Check what users they are and look at the Office 365 portal what license is assigned to them
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

@Mike_Resseler

i have this problem with 7 Users.
The users have assigned only the following license: "Microsoft Teams Commercial Cloud (User Initiated)"
The users aren't on boarded yet to office 365, but are using the self service license for Teams.

Microsoft has to create a OneDrive Business container for each of this Users (with 2GB limit) for Chat functionality (Files in personal Chats goes to personal Onedrive Business)

Veeam now sees this Onedrive for Business container and try to backup it. Because there is no proper license available on O365 site, the warning is shown and no backup is successfully done of this users. Veeam should respect the "Microsoft Teams Commercial Cloud (User Initiated)" License and do the backup for this user.

Excluding is no solution, because as soon I add a proper license for the user, the chances are big to forget the removing of the exclusion :-)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi @Mildur ,

VBO provides basic support for protecting Teams data, which means it grabs Teams-related data stored within sites and mailboxes. Since there's no application-level support for Teams (yet), VBO doesn't take into account Teams licenses and only respects licenses for the currently supported O365 services, such as SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, and Exchange Online. Therefore, to back up users OneDrive you need to have this user licensed in O365.

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi @Polina

I know.
My backup job is configured so that the entire Tennant is always backed up. Veeam will try to backup this "Teams Free Only" Accounts with there onedrive everytime and show me a warning, that it's not possible. Because of the missing license. I understand that part.

For me, it would be better, if veeam automatically excludes this "teams free user" without any warning. I don't need a daily warn message, that it isn't possible to backup such user. I know this from day one. I don't need to know this every day a backup is taken. As soon I have a correct license, veeam should automatically add the user again to the backup job.

I can manually remove "free teams user" from the job configuration. But when my o365 admins assign the user a correct license, no one is think about removing the exclusion. This is quickly overlooked.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Oh, got it; sorry for the misunderstanding.
I assume that reconfiguring the job from the entire tenant to users added via dynamic groups is not an option for you? This could be a workaround for now to avoid unwanted warnings...
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Polina

I habe to look into dynamic groups. But it‘s also an unnecessary management overhead if we have to configure seperate security groups for backup purpose.

One possibility that would work for me is to include only users, which are in the Azure licensing security groups. We are deploying the lincenses with this security groups.
If I only backup Data for Users in this groups, then it should work.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Mildur,

This absolutely makes sense and we'll consider this a feature request for future versions.

Thank you for the feedback!