Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
flo7abb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Florent THIESSET

Slow backup office 365

Post by flo7abb »

Hi,

Today, I have tested backup via veeam backup office365.
I have a problem with backup time, 8 Go in 1h45. (fiber)
My customers has 1,4 To saved. The time required would be 8-10 days.
Limitation of Office 365 ? A solution for the first backup ?

Regards,

Florent
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Slow backup office 365

Post by foggy »

Hello Florent, too little information to judge, I'd appreciate if you open a case with our technical support and provide logs and some additional info for investigation.
david.buchanan
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: David

Post by david.buchanan »

One of the main reasons for anything being slow out of Office365 is because people use DNS servers that return Office365 clusters that are not the closest to them.

For example, if you query Google's for mail.office365.com it will normally return outlook-apacsouth.office365.com with an average ping of 110-120ms.

However, if you query any AU based DNS server (Internode or Telstra for example) it returns outlook-au.office365.com with an average ping of 2-4ms.

The speed difference between these two Office365 sites is also huge. I get 500KB/s-1MB/s via outlook-apacsouth vs 8-10MB/s vis outlook-au.

This suggestion is a complete guess because as Foggy says theres not much info to go on but this might save you a lot of time if it's the cause as it was for me.

Thanks,
David.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

David,

This is indeed one of the reasons. Theoretically, when you query O365 you would get the closest one to your area. Your request would go over the internal Azure network and still be very decent in speed. Their internal network is impressive.

However, some companies might query it from APAC but the proxy or router or whatever is located somewhere else which already causes the delay.

Last but not least, O365 has made throttling limitations which can only be lifted by contacting MSFT support. It is also described in our documentation
Cheers
Mike
alex.talmage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Slow Exchange Backups since Sunday?

Post by alex.talmage »

Has anyone experienced a massive slow down in Exchange Mailbox backups since Sunday? Our incremental job was taking around 1 hour. Since Sunday its slowed right down and its taking 17-18 hours. Not aware of anything that's changed in our environment to contribute, so wanted to see if anything else was experiencing something similar?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Slow Exchange Backups since Sunday?

Post by wishr »

Hi Alex,

There should be a reasonable explanation. I'd suggest you contact our support team so we'll be able to get more info about the issue.

Also, I'm merging your topic to the related discussion - please take a look.

Thanks
alex.talmage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by alex.talmage »

Thanks wishr, The post was more about reading out to the community as to whether other people had noticed anything, in case there was an issue at Microsoft's end. I've logged a ticket with support as requested though #03582458.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Alex,

I looked at the support case, and it seems our engineer found two specific files that caused long backups. Did you already had the change to review those? There might be some issues with those. Keep us informed about what is happening

Cheers
Mike