Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
scohesc
Lurker
Liked: never

Installing Linux Agent on QNAP nas

Post by scohesc »

Hi,

I'm looking at setting up a QNAP NAS as a backup source instead of a repository, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone else is doing according to my google searches. Long story short we took IT services over from the previous administrator and they had everybody set up with redirected user profiles pointing to a network share created and shared by the QNAP NAS.

We've brought in a temporary Veeam B&R server to act as a backup server while we look at their infrastructure and make our plans to on-board them completely.

After configuring the linux agent job (File Level Backup) in B&R console and start the backup, it fails as it's "unable to process <IP_ADDR>: host rescan is required". I'm thinking this is because I haven't been able to figure out how to give my QNAP user root access via sudo or su which Veeam needs to do it's job.

This might be more of a QNAP support question, but hoping maybe someone here has done the same thing at some point. Has anyone successfully used a QNAP NAS as a backup _source_? I'm more than comfortable with diving into SSH and logging into the NAS that way if there's a way to give me the ability to escalate to root privilege this way.

PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Installing Linux Agent on QNAP nas

Post by PTide »

Hi,
"unable to process <IP_ADDR>: host rescan is required".
Even if you give all required credentials VBR won't install agent on QNAP as it will detect that the OS is not supported. The only way to install VAL on QNAP is to do it manually (breaking some dependencies) using agent packages. After that you will have to either configure it manually on QNAP side, or try to add it into VBR protection group/jobs (which I doubt will work smoothly). Anyway, neither of the approaches are officially supported, and the only mode that can theoretically work for QNAP is snapshot-less file-level backup.

Thanks!