Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Eike
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eike Wessels

Tape backup every Saturday, WORM backup once per month

Post by Eike »

Hi guys,

a customer runs tape backups every day in the week. On every first Saturday each month they replace the regular LTO7 tape with a WORM tape.
I know that I can set the WORM job to run only on the first Saturday of a month, but is it possible to pause the other job, which would normally run on this time, or do I have to set up one job for Sunday to Friday, one Saturday WORM job and four additional Saturday no-WORM jobs?
Since the WORM tapes are getting added to a dedicated media pool there is no "use the available tape" option, is it?

Thanks a lot & kind regards,
Eike
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape backup every Saturday, WORM backup once per month

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I know that I can set the WORM job to run only on the first Saturday of a month, but is it possible to pause the other job, which would normally run on this time, or do I have to set up one job for Sunday to Friday, one Saturday WORM job and four additional Saturday no-WORM jobs?
Not possible, unless you use scripts to disable regular job on first Saturday.
Since the WORM tapes are getting added to a dedicated media pool there is no "use the available tape" option, is it?
Can you say what exact option are you talking about?

Thanks!
Eike
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eike Wessels

Post by Eike »

The script thing for the first saturday is a good hint, thanks. :)

Today I've written a PS script which moves the tapes to the correct pool and marks them as free. I think that will do.
I meant an option to grab any inserted tape, which is not a WORM tape off course, and move it to the used media pool. But doing it with Powershell is fine for me. :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, PowerShell is the way to go. Should you need any help with scripting, feel free to create a dedicated post in PS subforum. Thanks!