Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SHD - Datacenter
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: SHD

Feature Requests - HPE StoreOnce / Exchange DAG

Post by SHD - Datacenter »

Hi guys,

We are using Veeam since almost a year now to backup some customer infrastructure (physical agents and around 1k VMs)

We have some request to submit :

- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Copy (we are trying to replicate around 1K VMs from a primary 5500 to a remote 5500 which is connect via dark fiber and operate @2x10Gbits) but without catalyst copy and the rehydratation process, it takes "years"...

- Veeam Agents over catalyst (currently you can only use cifs target for agents).

- Exchange DAG - passive database copy only (currently if you dont have a dedicated passive copy server, you cant achieve this).

If you have any feedback about those request (planned, included in next update/product, etc..)

Thanks a lot.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Requests - HPE StoreOnce / Exchange DAG

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

For the HPE requests: these are the most common feature requests from HPE customers. We plan to make our customers happy, but it's too early for timelines.

Exchange: are you talking about VMs or physical machines?

Best regards,
Hannes
SHD - Datacenter
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: SHD

Post by SHD - Datacenter »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm talking about physical mostly, but it can be true for virtual too. I mean, if you have an IP less Exchange DAG and your mailbox servers host both active and passiv copy, there's no possibiity to backup only passive copy as you select the whole vm or whole server.

Sorry if i am not very clear, ill add some screenshot to explain my point later.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
there's no possibiity to backup only passive copy as you select the whole vm or whole server.
this is correct for today. It's also a request that comes up from time to time to only backup the passive copy. I only wanted to hear whether it is for VMs, physical or both (because that makes a difference for us during implementation).

As you backup to StoreOnce, it should not make a real difference from a backup space perspective. Yes, it takes some more time for backup and the request makes sense. But this is also nothing we can change for image based backup in short term.

The only workaround would be "Veeam Backup for Office 365" which also works for local exchange. But usually it's cheaper to do image based backup instead of licensing "per user" :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

It's not recommended to use dedupe appliance with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 since that would entail running a JET database across the network on to dedupe storage. Therefore VBO would not be an option in this scenario.

Joe