Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

SOBR plus regular repo?

Post by backupquestions »

Please help me understand the following scenario. I will try to keep it short.

One Dell server with both DAS and also an external shelf connected via SAS, so its all presented as DAS but maybe as two or more "disks/drive letters". This is the only Veeam server/repo with all veeam roles. proxy/etc.

Requirements: 2 weeks retention all VMs. Backup copy job to VCC provider to mirror this.

Requirements: 5 vms need GFS points and they need to go to capacity tier s3 bucket object storage.

How do I arrange all this job/repo wise??

I will have enteprise license. So do I make two folders on my server, and make one of them a regular repo, and one of them a "sobr" repo with cloud tier? So then my jobs are a)regular job to regular repo folder b) copy job to sobr repo folder. gfs settings in this copy job which lands locally first in the sobr folder and then go out to s3?

So overall my SOBR repo folder doesn't get any regular vm jobs targeted to it, only backup copy jobs (for the intention of being able to use GFS on anything that the SOBR gets and then can age out)?

If I'm wrong please illustrate how I could achieve this. Main thing is I need separate ongoing chain of 2 week for all VMs that is not part of SOBR I'm thinking. But if there is a simpler way let me know.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SOBR plus regular repo?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for today, the following setup meets your requirements:

1) backup job with 14 restore points / days
2) backup copy job to VCC provider. source is 1
3a) backup copy job of 5 VMs that need GFS. yes, you need an additional copy because today capacity tier is "move of sealed backup chains"
3b) backup job for the 5 VMs that need GFS with synthetic / active fulls to get 5 GFS points. As result, you will also offload incrementals to S3, but you don't need the copy job. you still meet 3-2-1 rule because of 2

Best regards,
Hannes
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

Thank you Hannes. I'm still not clear on a bit of it...

Could I remove 3b and have the target of 3a backup copy job be my local SOBR folder? That way I can age out only the monthly/yearly gfs points to capacity tier.

The same 5 VMs will already be in the 2) job for short term retention.

Planned setup is 1 regular repo folder and then 1 sobr folder all on same physical server to make this work.

Overall intent is to end up with old stuff only in capacity and not local, understanding those points are not 3-2-1.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, you can remove 3b. 3a / 3b is "or" (sorry for my bad description).

1 & 2 are to fulfill your two requirements.

Best regards,
Hannes