Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mschwarzer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Schwarzer

powershell - query vbojobsession

Post by mschwarzer »

Hi @ll,

we devided the organisation backup for the exchange backup into user-dependent jobs.
We query the exchange-online for the list of fully lincensed boxes and add them to the different jobs. When a user left the company the job will run into an warning, that the exo account is not found any more. This is usefull to generate an event and to export the latest backuppoint to worm.

My question is, to automate this a cmdlet or query whould be nice to go one step deeper than
Get-VBOJobSession - Job $job -Last
Is there a query to get the last backup result of a JobSession-action ?

Hope some of you find this interresting too and Best regards,
Michael
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: powershell - query vbojobsession

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Michael,

Sorry for our late reply (VeeamON was fantastic but extremely busy for us ;-)).

I am not sure what you want to know. If you work with Get-VBOJobSession -Job $job -Last you do get the latest result for that job? Then you can see at the status parameter (Disconnected, Failed, NotConfigured, Queued, Running, Stopped, Success, Warning) should give you that information? (Or am I not understanding the question correctly...)

Thanks
Mike
mschwarzer
Influencer

Post by mschwarzer »

Hi Mike,

thanks for reply. ICan imagine, there is a lot of things to be done around the new version.
What i try to automate is the export of last successfull running backup of a specific box to offline storage. Usually after a box was unlicensed within exchange, the referencing job at veeam4O365-site is running into warning. In the UI the tasklist is showning an entry for the unlicensed user like:
$timestamp :: Processing mailbox $user completed with warning: User was not found: $user (ID: $exo-userID)
If it, whould be possible to catch this event, it is possible to automate the export-to-pst --> to offline storage. Perhaps there is a query targeting against the backup timestamp, restore-point or so, to get this task event.?

Kind regards,
Michael
mschwarzer
Influencer

Post by mschwarzer »

Hello,
i think i was mind blocked a bit using powershell reference. The simpliest way of getting what i need ist using: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=30

Cheers and Br,
Michael
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Awesome! If you have feedback for our technical writers, please use the feedback links which exists on each page. Trust me when I say they love that kind of feedback and are always looking for suggestions for improvements.
mschwarzer
Influencer

Post by mschwarzer »

Thanks Mike,
Got the export running with a little help from BasvanH using https://gist.github.com/BasvanH/2229ca0 ... db36d7bc5c - very usefull for those making there first steps with querying the veem4O365 RestAPI.
But one thing is still open. To be able to remove the exported users from jobs, i first have to
Remove-VBOBackupItem -Job $job -BackupItem ( New-VBOBackupItem -User ( Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Organization $org -Name $export -Type User ) )
which will fail to bind the userobjekt ($export) in case of nox-existent exo account.

My question is: Is there a way to force the binding of the VBOOrganisationUser element (exception handling or so) to be able to remove it per cmd, like in the ui were it is possible?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Michael,

I'm not sure I understand what you want. So you have exported the data. Correct? Then you want to remove the data? And finally remove the job? Is that correct?
mschwarzer
Influencer

Post by mschwarzer »

Hi, nope. I exported the data from the repo to some offline storage. Now the job, containing a list of userobjekts (mail/archive) is still backing up a user which does not have a licensed box in exo and generating a warning. This i try to avoid by removing the user from the job.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Ok, I understand it now. Unfortunately I have no access to some of the scripts and I don't know it out of my head but this is what you need to do:

First: Get the data from the backup job and (Get-VBOJob). One of the parameters in the object that you will retrieve will have the list of included items (e.g. the users). Then you need to filter that one specific out and use Set-VBOJob to update the list of included items again. I am aware it isn't that straightforward. Let me try to contact Niels who has written a few of those scripts. If he is in the office I am sure he can help you with this.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 2 people like this post

Michael,

I have a script which works for Exchange users that are no longer present; you may need to adjust the message to fit those who are missing (as I don't know the exact warning you are receiving). Just replace the JobName (TEST) with the correct name.

Code: Select all

Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup365\Veeam.Archiver.PowerShell\Veeam.Archiver.PowerShell.psd1"

$JobName = "TEST"

$Job = Get-VBOJob -Name $JobName
$JobSession = Get-VBOJobSession -Job $Job -Last
$SelectedItems = $Job.SelectedItems
$SelectedUser = $Job.SelectedItems.User
$JobLog = $JobSession.Log

$Seperator = '\[Warning\].*(Exchange\saccount\swas\snot\sfound)'
$Warnings = $JobLog.Title -match "$Seperator"

foreach ($JobWarning in $Warnings) {
    $UID = $JobWarning.Split('(ID: ')
    $UID = $UID[-1].TrimEnd(')')

$RemoveUser = $SelectedItems | Where-Object {$_.User.OfficeId -eq $UID}
    $DisplayName = $($SelectedUser | Where-Object {$_.OfficeId -eq $UID} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty DisplayName)

try {
        Remove-VBOBackupItem -Job $job -BackupItem $RemoveUser -ErrorAction Stop
        Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "User named '$DisplayName' with GUID '$UID' has been removed from backup job '$($Job.Name)'."
    } catch {
        Write-Host -ForegroundColor Red "User named '$DisplayName' with GUID '$UID' could not be removed from backup job '$($Job.Name)'."
    }
}
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen