Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

Replace Veeam Server and migrate all jobs and settings

Post by mrholm »

Hi
We are about to move one backup environment and I'll try to expalin how it's setup today:
Current ENV:
One physical VBR server (server1) in location 1. we have 7 remote proxies with local windows storage. in location 1 we have HPE Storeonce for secondary copies (7 repositories, one for each remote site). In location1 we are to shutdown the VBR server and Storeonce as soon as possible.
New environment will be physical VBR server (server2) and Datadomain for secondary copies. All 7 proxies should be handled by the new server2.

My plan is to setup the server2 with same OS and same VBR version, new DB.
Use the configuration restore as in KB1889 to restore every settings for the proxies and all jobs.
Setup new repositories for secondary copies in datadomain in location2 and change destination for the copy jobs to these new repos

As soon as backup and copies are running I'll setup a new SOBR in location2 with one repo in datadomain and then add repo from Storeonce (location1 is connected with 1 GiG WAN) to the SOBR and do evacuate of the repo in Storeonce to have data copied over to the new repo in location2 and by that keep all older data and be able to shutdown the Storeonce in location1 .

Is this right approach? Do you see any problems or better ways to do this?

I have a case created but ask eveyone here as well; ID# 03589704
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replace Veeam Server and migrate all jobs and settings

Post by foggy »

Hi Mats, overall looks good, just for the backups migration you need to do it in another sequence - first create SOBR with StoreOnce repositories, re-point jobs there and then add DD repos for evacuation.
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

Re: Replace Veeam Server and migrate all jobs and settings

Post by mrholm »

Thnaks Foggy that make sence, I'll put that into my process