Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kmille1398
Influencer
Liked: never

Backing Up Veeam into Netbackup 7.1?

Post by kmille1398 »

Hi,

We currently use Veeam 5.01 and back up our ESXi 4.1 VMs (about 45 in number) into a 2 TB Equallogic LUN. We love Veeam, and it works great. However, our retention policy for all backups is 6 weeks. So, we use the Synthetic Full option. Fulls are created on Friday night from the incrementals created on Monday to Thursday. We then backup all to tape on the weekend. Thos tapes then go offsite. We only have one weeks' worth of backups on the LUN (given its size).

We are implementing Netbackup 7.1, using Direct Attached Storage as a Netbackup Media Deduplication Pool. This will back up our other phyisical servers in our environment. My question is this: If I turned off compression on the Veeam backups, I am wondering if I would gain enough de-duplication to keep 6 weeks worth of backups on the Netbackup storage pool (Storage pool is about 6 TB, but we also backup our physical servers into this same pool. Does anyone else out there do something like this? I am just trying to see if I can eliminate tape. I forgot to mention that this Netbackup Storage pool is part of a Storage Lifecycle Policy (Netbackup speak) which will duplicate backups to another Netbackup 7.1 server (and attached Storage pool) at my DR site.

Thanks!

Kevin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing Up Veeam into Netbackup 7.1?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kevin,
kmille1398 wrote: My question is this: If I turned off compression on the Veeam backups, I am wondering if I would gain enough de-duplication to keep 6 weeks worth of backups on the Netbackup storage pool (Storage pool is about 6 TB, but we also backup our physical servers into this same pool. Does anyone else out there do something like this? I am just trying to see if I can eliminate tape. I forgot to mention that this Netbackup Storage pool is part of a Storage Lifecycle Policy (Netbackup speak) which will duplicate backups to another Netbackup 7.1 server (and attached Storage pool) at my DR site.
Could you please clarify why you do want to turn off compression for your backups? Is this because of the same storage pool being used for storing VMs and physical machines backups?
kmille1398
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by kmille1398 »

Netbackup had issues backing up compressed files into a De-duplication pool. Thus, all compressed files appear new, and de-duplication is very poor.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh... I see. Unfortunately, I'm not very well experienced with Netbackup 7.1 and I cannot say whether turning off compression will solve your problem or not.

Be aware that the final figures will heavily depend on the current deduplication ratio you have for the Veeam backup jobs, so you'd better try both ways and see which one works for you best.