Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tthornbrough
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Thornbrough

9.5 Update 4 with ESX(i) 4.1

Post by tthornbrough »

Hello all,

A client of ours is currently using Veeam Backup & Replicate 9.5 Update 3a and I have downloaded the Update 4 to be installed. When running the update, I got the following notice:

Selected database contains unsupported versions of ESX(i) hosts or vCenter servers (4.1 or earlier). You must unregister all unsupported hosts and servers before upgrading.

So what is the upgrade path if the client isn't looking to upgrade their VMware environment??

Thanks for your help.

-Tim
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: 9.5 Update 4 with ESX(i) 4.1

Post by wishr »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting.

vSphere version 4.1 and earlier are no longer supported by Veeam, there is no upgrade path except upgrading the virtualization environment. Please note that VMware EoSL for 4.1 was May 2014, which is 5 years ago.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Basically, they should not upgrade Veeam to Update 4, and instead keep it at Update 3a level (just like they are not upgrading vSphere, keeping one at 4.1).
There are no concerns here, as Update 3a will still be supported for a couple of years.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Another option is the customer doesn't want to upgrade VMware is to switch over to agents, assuming the guests are running supported OS versions. That could be tricky though as ESXi 4.1 definitely doesn't support current OS versions.

Joe