Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: -

organization deployment type

Post by 33minutesinheaven »

Hey there,

So just licensed a trial of o365 backup for veeam and trying to get it configured. I got the account created and gave the permissions that were listed in the script. Then i added the sharepoint administrator role as well to turn all my checkboxes green.

We have a hybrid scenario, and are just starting to transition to office365 and migrate mailboxes. I am going to get backup working before that.

When i go to add the organization, do i select 'hybrid' or 'microsoft office 365'?
We currently are in hyrbid, but regular veeam already backs up the on prem exchange server, which is why i selected microsoft office365 only. Is that correct for my environment? I do want to decommission the onprem email in the next 6 months, and the backup of onprem is already covered as i said.

I have a few test mailboxes, however when i go to create a backup, I am not sure what to select there. it does not seem to let me filter by just exchange online mailboxes, but wants me to select every user in the company... What is the correct items to select to only backup the mailboxes? i think peoples one drives will take up too much space for now.

its almost too easy... like i am not able to select sub components of office365? what if i want to just back up the mailboxes, is it possible?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: organization deployment type

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey 33minutesinheaven,

First: Welcome to our forums!
Second: In your case, I would indeed go for the O365 only. Since you are already protecting on-prem through VBR.
For the selection. You can change the selection (only mail for example) in the edit settings. You can read more about it here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=30

Hope it helps
Mike
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast

So i went ahead before i heard back from you and set it to 365 only (made the most sense) and its mostly working.

It seems to be handling it fine and only backing up the o365 mailboxes. There is an issue it seems with USER@groups.DOMAIN.ca mailboxes which is probably worth its own thread.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi 33minutesinheaven,

Glad to know it's all up and running for you now. And if I'm not mistaken, the issue with group mailboxes has also been resolved by adding the missing permissions to the service account, hasn't it?

Thanks
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast

groups problem was solved by this thread. veeam-backup-for-microsoft-office-365-f ... 54849.html