Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

import expired tapes that are offline

Post by staun »

In my old IBM TSM days, I had a function that checked which tapes I needed to remove from my tape-libray and which one to get from our firebox. Just a simple click and I got a nice list. I am missing this in veeam or am I just not aware of this?

Currently we have 120 tapes (LTO2 800GB storage capacity) in my library, but the amount of data we copy to our tapes daily AND especially every weekend requires me to replace tapes quite often and for now I am doing this manually by looking and the "Free space" column on every media and export the almost full tapes and then import empty or expired tapes, which takes some time to go through. Any smart way to do this differently. (besides buying a new tape-library....)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: import expired tapes that are offline

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jørgen,
Have you checked Veeam ONE Tape reports?
Thanks!
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Post by staun »

Hi again,

Checked with VeeamOne reporter and did not find any report that satisfied what I needed. Then I tried to use the ReportBuilder, but without success.

luckily Powershell is a powerfull tool and I managed to make my own GUI where I can do what I want, so now I can get my "report" that tells me what tapes can be replaced and needs to be exported when they have reached the Full Tape status.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Tape Media Retention Period report shows amount of free space on tapes.