Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

MBX Backup Error "GroupMailbox"

Post by agrob »

Good Morning

Starting last night, i got the following Error on a Backup Job with onyl Mailboxes selected:

Error: A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'GroupMailbox'.
Then the whole Job does Abort.

If i look at the extended logs, i see the following:

25.10.2018 07:25:55 34 (1712) Error: A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'GroupMailbox'.
25.10.2018 07:25:55 34 (1712) Type: System.Management.Automation.Remoting.PSRemotingTransportException
25.10.2018 07:25:55 34 (1712) Stack:
25.10.2018 07:25:55 34 (1712) at Veeam.PowerShell.PowerShellExtension.CheckErrors(PowerShell ps)
at Veeam.PowerShell.PSConnector.RunWithCallback(Func`1 powerShellFactory, Action`1 objectReceivedCallback, WaitHandle cancel)
at Veeam.Archiver.Source.ObjectQuery.TryQueryObjects[TObject,TKey](IReadOnlyDictionary`2 commands, Action`1 callback, Func`2 creator, Func`2 objToKey, ISet`1 seen, CancellationToken cancel)
at Veeam.Archiver.Source.ObjectQuery.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`2.<QueryObjects>b__0()
at Veeam.SharePoint.Core.RetryExtension.<>c__DisplayClass0_0`1.<Execute>b__0()
at Veeam.Archiver.Source.PSRetry.Execute(Action action)
25.10.2018 07:25:55 34 (1712) Error: A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'GroupMailbox'.

I checked our Mailboxes and i can't finde any mailbox with this name. Is this again a temporary issue because microsoft did once more change something? Does anyone else has the same issue?

The "bad thing" is, that most of the other mailboxes does not backup when this error ocure, job does just stop with failure. when this happens, only about 70-80 mailboxes are processed (from about 800)

Thanks
Best Regards
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: MBX Backup Error "GroupMailbox"

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andre,
The name of the mailbox won't be groupmailbox. That is a parameter that is attached to mailboxes (or metadata). It seems there is somewhere an issue but we need to figure out which mailbox it is. It most likely will mean that one of your mailboxes needs to be fixed.

1. Did you already install the rollup update? You can check if you are running version 2.0.0.594 (https://www.veeam.com/kb2765)
2. If so, please create a support call and post the case ID here, plus the outcome after investigation of our engineers

Thanks
Mike
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thanks Mike. Ok i understand the point. 2.0.0594 is already installed
opened a case again. id #03257478
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

ok, looks like the problem is fixed and i must say, it was my fault.
i configured the job some months ago and it did run fine during this time. now i guess some new O365 groups have been created and those where automatically included into the backup job because of backup selection configuration. to backup those mail groups, the backup account needs the following rights in exchange online:

MailboxSearch or MailRecipients. To backup groups.

This right was missing. this was not a problem until now, because no groups where in the backup selection...

Job is running now and it seems to be fine. thanks to the veeam support

Never the less, it should not abort the whole backup job in this scenario. Maybe this is something Veeam could change for the next version. That it just abort or skipps the affected objects where permissions are failing but still backup all the other objects. this is not the case now, it aborts the whole job even if there would be several 100 objects which could be processed.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andre,

First: Glad it is solved.
Second: I will pass this to our teams to see what their opinion is. (Not sure if this is technically possible considering the way we connect to O365...)
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: -

Post by 33minutesinheaven »

Ok thanks for that. For the error like:
5/30/19 1:23:16 AM :: Processing mailbox Jenny's Team failed with error: Failed to execute PowerShell query. Please check permissions required for product operation (see the Prerequisites section in the user guide).. A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'GroupMailbox'.
you can fix by going to office365 -> exchange admin center -> permission -> admin roles.. Then find the group you made during the office365 veeam setup, in my case its called 'veamo365backup'. then add the two parameters 'mailbox search' and 'Mail Recipients'.

This has resolved the error which seems to occur only on USER@groups.DOMAIN.ca (note the word GROUPS in there), these are groups that users have created themselves in i believe probably MS teams.

Oh i also had to reboot before this took affect. Seems like any time i make an o365 permissions change it requires a reboot.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Upon my experience, it sometimes takes up to a few hours for O365 admin center to apply the changes in admin roles or configuration. Usually, you can make do without a reboot, but just have to wait a bit.

And as mentioned above in this thread (and in VBO documentation as well), View-Only Recipients and Mailbox Search roles are required for the service account to be able to get the list of groups in a tenant and process group mailboxes.
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast

Upon my experience, it sometimes takes up to a few hours for O365 admin center to apply the changes in admin roles or configuration.
You might try rebooting next time, because for me it instantly worked in 5 minutes after a reboot. I can maybe guess that veeam is authenticated to 365 and needs to break and re-establish the connection to get the new permissions.
And as mentioned above in this thread (and in VBO documentation as well)
I used the following white paper to set this up and group permissions are not mentioned in there. Also the thread is not step by step how to do it, and i think its nice to provide that.
https://www.veeam.com/wp-how-to-install ... .html?wpty

however they are in the "users" guide that i did not read because i had the whitepaper.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

That whitepaper is rather old so always use the users guide :-). Mostly whitepapers from Veeam are add-ons or really in depth for specific scenario's. You can use those (but not those old ones ;-)) but always start from the user guide. I dare to say that Veeam has rather good user guides and we spent a lot of time and effort in those. Plus, and I really like that, each page has a link to provide feedback to the technical writers team, and they use that to improve the docs so feel free...
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast

the whitepaper is the first search result when you are searching for information on the migration. that is why i used it.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm.... Google analytics ;). Yes, but as I said, and I am proud of it... Our technical writers really do an awesome job!