Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Dolphin
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

How to backup VMs from Hyper-V core edition

Post by Dolphin »

Hi there, I am looking for a way to backup VMs within Hyper-V core but I am unsure if this is possible.
I have read this thread but I am confused...
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: How to backup VMs from Hyper-V core edition

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dolphin,

Everything mentioned in the thread you linked is correct. You can back up VMs running on a Hyper-V @ WServer Core, but you can't install B&R server itself on a Core version of WServer.

Thanks
Dolphin
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by Dolphin »

This means B&R server must be installed in the VM? And how does B&R can access the underlying vxd?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

B&R components can be installed on both physical and virtual servers running supported OS versions. For each B&R component, the requirements are different. Please refer to the system requirements for a complete list and also take a look at the deployment section. That article sheds the light on the backup process. If any concrete questions arise - just let us know. Thank you.
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Post by jochot » 1 person likes this post

Hey Dolphin,

You need to install the Backupserver on another server than the Hyper-V host (which is recommended anyway) & you cannot install an Veeam Backup Agent for Windows on Windows Server Core.
That only means that you cannot backup the Hyper-V Core Host itself.
You still can include the Hyper-V Core host into your Backup and replication console and create backups of the VM's, just not for the Host itself (which is fine, you can quickly setup a Hyper-V host, as there is no [shouldn't be] actual data on there)
If you have a Network share on the Hyper-V host or use it for anything else, you cannot back that up tough (or put that in a vhdx and back that up with a B&R Console Job)

If you want to use the free version, you can just install the free agent on the VM's itself (don't know about how that plays out with the license and if that is ok)