Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

VCC and object storage combined

Post by backupquestions »

Something I hadn't considered fully...

Veeam Cloud Connect and then SOBR with Capacity tier to S3, would be competing for bandwidth.

My thoughts are the below, please confirm if this seems like things will be OK due to the reasons I list, or is there anything I need to consider more? Veeam throttling rules for internet traffic would be global to both services, right? Or I guess you can enter in different public IPs in the rules so you could throttle one more than another etc.

1. GFS points would sit locally first on SOBR before aging out. It is no big issue if it takes a long time to age that first one out as it is still local until then and once that first GFS point is out, all others will be tiny changes+metadata only. Even for additional YEARLY copies etc?

2. I have the worry that daily incremental Veeam Cloud Connect jobs will fail or not finish each day meaning we are always behind, but I'm again thinking that once all initial seed VBK for capacity tier have aged out, then the bandwidth and time requirements for future cloud tier jobs will be tiny so it won't be an issue?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VCC and object storage combined

Post by veremin »

Or I guess you can enter in different public IPs in the rules so you could throttle one more than another etc.
This
Even for additional YEARLY copies etc?
Correct
I have the worry that daily incremental Veeam Cloud Connect jobs will fail or not finish each day meaning we are always behind, but I'm again thinking that once all initial seed VBK for capacity tier have aged out, then the bandwidth and time requirements for future cloud tier jobs will be tiny so it won't be an issue?
Subsequent runs should take less time than initial run, correct.

Thanks!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Re: VCC and object storage combined

Post by backupquestions »

Thank you.