Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
corbitech
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ashok Kumar

Recovery media needs to be recreated after updating Veeam?

Post by corbitech »

I've created recovery media for my desktop PC (Windows 8.1 Professional x64) using Veeam Endpoint Backup (Free) version 1.5.0.306. When a new version of Veeam Endpoint Backup becomes available, I will probably update my current Veeam installation.

Question:

Would I need to recreate recovery media using the updated version of Veeam Endpoint Backup? Or will the old recovery media continue to work with backups made with newer versions of Veeam Endpoint Backup?

Thanks,

Ash
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recovery media needs to be recreated after updating Veea

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ash,

Yes, Recovery Media should be recreated after major update for sure. By the way, VAW prompts when recovery media recreation is required, so you won’t miss it.
ernestforman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ernest Forman

Re: Recovery media needs to be recreated after updating Veeam?

Post by ernestforman »

I created the recovery media on the same usb drive that I'm using for backups. Can you point me to info on how I can recreate the recovery media on that drive?

Ernest Forman
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ernest,

Start create recovery wizard and select the usb device as a target for recovery media. It should detect the existing recovery media volume and overwrite it with a newer version. Please make sure your are using the latest version of Veeam Agent for Windows as this logic was implemented in the latest version. Cheers!
ernestforman
Novice

Post by ernestforman »

I was able to create the recovery media. However, the problem I'm having now is, I think, unique to the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 -- when I try to boot from the usb stick, it tries, but then opens Windows. I tried this stick on a Surface Pro 6 and it works fine. Also works on an HP computer. I tried it on another Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 and it does not work. I created a Wndows 10 boot usb stick that works on all computers I tried but the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2. My conclusion is that there is an issue with the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 being able to boot from a USB stick. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ernest,

Just to double check: was the recovery media in the question created on the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2? Thanks!
ernestforman
Novice

Post by ernestforman »

Yes, it was. Is it possible to have Veeam put the boot sofware on the usb drive containing the backup so I don't have to boot from a usb stick?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ernest,

Sure. You can create recovery media on the USB drive: we will automatically format the drive, create bootable partition and all the remaining space will be allocated for data partition (which can be further used as a backup destination).
ml35
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by ml35 » 1 person likes this post

>we will automatically format the drive

If you want to use the USB drive for multiple bootable ISO's (like linux, antivirus etc), it's better to use a multiboot solution. I use easy2boot (free) which allows simply dropping the .iso file in a special folder then it just magically boots.