Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
liamiha
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Liam

Network Rules help

Post by liamiha »

Hi
I have a complex query and so I'll try and explain the best I can.
I have an MPLS WAN network with 15 sites. All traffic is routed into head office as that's where our central internet connection and servers are located.
I have a second 'DR' site which as an almost mirror set up as head office, SAN, proxy server, NAS storage, host etc.
At present I complete local backups at each site to a Qnap NAS and then backup copy across to each other. I also have full replication set up to replicate servers from HQ over to the DR site and this is ran from a second Veeam management server at the DR site.
The problem I have is that with hourly replication and daily backup copy jobs my MPLS leased line and broadband at the DR site is being saturated to the point that it's almost impossible to work. Due to the volume of data I don't want to throttle the jobs and so I want to install two new MPLS circuits, one at each site (HQ and DR) that will be solely for Veeam).
My current IP ranges are 192.168.50.0 (HQ) and 192.168.70.0 (DR), however, I plan to have two new circuits that will be patched onto my existing LANs (192.168.80.0 and 192.168.90.0).
I'm no sure how I tell Veeam to send backup data over these dedicated broadband circuits without it using the existing production broadband circuits?
Any help appreciated!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Network Rules help

Post by Andreas Neufert »

You need to solve this by routing. Check with your network team. Idea is to define a route to the Veeam HQ subnet (and vice versa) in a way that it is routed over the other connection.
liamiha
Novice

Post by liamiha »

Thank you
I'm sorry, I don't have a network team per-se, just my ISP but they won't get involved in Veeam queries.
Do you mean that on my Veeam Management servers I need to add a static route? In addition to this do I need to use the network rules and 'preferred network' options?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

Are u using a SD-WAN? bc u keep saying mpls and broadband - these are two diff things, but can be paired together in a SD-WAN.

anyhow, we have a similar setup with several branch offices being routed over a layer 3 mpls backbone to a primary dc and we have a dr dc as well. we ran into similar issues with the circuit between the two dcs being over committed bc it was just too small for our needs. in the end, we just increased the mpls bandwidth between the two dcs, that solved our issues. if youre on all fiber, it scales really well, and as an added bonus our isp reworked our contract and we were able to increase the bandwidth at all sites for a good price (not much more than we were paying).
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The question is if you have 2 connections to your main datacenter, how is the networking routed. My guess is that the only one of the connections is used as default route. So the other one is not used at all. Second condition is that the additional connections was added to the same networks as the first one on both sides.

Then you have to tell the routers or the Veeam Servers that the other side will be routed through the other connection. This needs to be done on both sides.

If you have used completely new networks with different IP ranges and you have added additional network cards on both sides to the Veeam server (multi homed Veeam), then you can use the Veeam traffic rules.

Based on your description it is first scenario and I suggest to double check with the ISP to know what to do. Maybe it is completely different scenario?
liamiha
Novice

Post by liamiha »

Hi
No, we're not using SD-WAN, just plain 'ol MPLS.
When I say 'Broadband' I mean the connection, just my old terminology.
Liam
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

no worries, talk with your isp about increasing bandwidth, if youre on all fiber it makes these changes really easy - and you may be surprised at what they come back with.