Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Hyper-V Checkpoint Manual merging

Post by jochot »

Hey all,

this is just a bit related to veeam, as it is a Hyper-V problem created by Veeam.

I have some VM's running on a 2012R2 and on a 2016 Hyper-V Cluster, that cannot delete the Checkpoints (for whatever reason, that's another thing to tackle).
I see the checkpoints in the Hyper-V Manager, but I cannot delete them, see picture: https://ibb.co/kyssFbj
Now I manually merged the checkpoints into the original VHD and told the VM to take the merged VHD as a drive (as it had the checkpoint mounted) and the VM starts without a problem.
I still see the checkpoints as they are in the picture, still cannot delete them (when deleting with powershell it's the same issue)
The problem is, that the Hyper-V manager still has those Checkpoints referenced somewhere and that reference didn't get deleted, when I try to delete it just tells me that the corrosponding file cannot be found (yeah no sh*t, I merged it :o )

Does anyone have a better solution to this than creating a new "empty" VM and mount the merged VHD to that VM (then configuring the Network).
There needs to be a better way, but I cannot find anything online, all the "manually merge VHDX drives" manuals end with the merge without looking at the Hyper-V Manager.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... avhdxfiles
Same problem without solution

Thanks,
Jochot
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Hyper-V Checkpoint Manual merging

Post by MichaelCade »

Jochot, Have you contacted our support, they would be able to assist and hopefully have a look at options to get this resolved.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

When you can't delete a checkpoint in the gui, that means it's a backup checkpoint and should be deleted via powershell. You should NOT have manually merged the vhdx files, that caused your problem. I don't know if there is any way to recover from this situation other than creating a new VM and attaching the existing VHDs.
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Post by jochot »

nmdange
so you're saying that even when I cannot delete the checkpoint in Hyper-V I can delete those in powershell?
Havent tried that yet, will try that, thanks!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »