Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
IFCIT
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: IFC IT

Cannot find a way how to restore data

Post by IFCIT »

We're using the Community Edition licence. For me the update went smoothly - no complaints about that at all about the installation.

However, now that it's running, I can't even figure out how to do a simple Restore from the new UI !

In the previous version it was easy - Click on Restore on the main menu, the <Browse> to my .VBK files on disk.

After update 4a - I have no idea how to Restore from a .VBK file on disk. I can't even figure out how to find the server they are stored on AND IT'S THE LOCAL SERVER DISK.

PLEASE - Can anyone point me to some instructions on how I do a simple Restore from .VBK after Update 4 in the Community Edition licence?

In all honesty when something is installed and the version stays at 9.5 there is absolutely no excuse for such a complete disruption of the UI and use cases.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cannot find a way how to restore data

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Community Edition has full functionality like Standard edition of Veeam B&R. Here you go the guidelines on the recovery options available: Data Recovery

Thank you!
IFCIT
Novice

Post by IFCIT »

Thanks for the reply.

However, when I get to Step 2 in the linked User Guide
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

And the instruction to "If the VM is not in the list, click the Show more link to browse the virtual infrastructure."

I do not see a "Show more" link anywhere on the screen, therefore I cannot browse to the folder of .VBKs that I want to restore from.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are there any backups listed under "Backups" node?

If not, then, for some reason backup server thinks that there is no backup created, and you'd better to investigate it further with our support team.

Thanks!
IFCIT
Novice

Post by IFCIT »

Yes, but it only only lists the backups jobs run on this server. I want to restore from a .VBK that was created by another Veeam server. I have copied the .VBK to this Veeam server's local disk but I don't see any way to browse to it and ask for it to be restored.

Our process:
Site 1 PROD Veeam - run backups, create .VBKs
Copy files from Site 1 Veeam to Site 2 Veeam
Site 2 DRP Veeam - restore from .VBKs (this is what used to be simple before update 4a. Now I can't find it in the UI)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Have you imported the copied backups (or rescanned the repository you put them in)?
IFCIT
Novice

Post by IFCIT »

Imported? Rescanned? There's an extra step now? That would be an unfortunate downgrade of what used to be a very simple useful feature.

I will look for those in the guide and see if it makes the transferred .VBKs available. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, you should still be able to simply double-click the copied VBK in Windows Explorer on "Site 2 DRP Veeam" server to start the restore. No need to even browse to the backup using Veeam UI. Let us know if you have any issues doing that. Thanks!
IFCIT
Novice

Post by IFCIT »

Indeed...double-clicking the .VBK works - thank you!

When I double-click a .VBK I see a brief splash of the login screen with the "Use Windows session authentication" checked, and then I get the Restore dialog that I'm used to in the pre-Update 4 version. So my issue is solved !

I have to say though, this means I wasted over a day on this very simple thing, I mean for goodness sakes it's a backup solution and an experienced user can't find the Restore button ?! There's no reason for Veeam to make such a change in the UI and I think they need to address this problem. These kinds of things are infuriating.

Maybe we could just get "From disk..." option on the <Add VM> button? Because "From infrastructure..." only shows vCenter and Hosts, and "From backup..." only shows jobs on this Veeam server. There's no way to get to the folders on the local machine.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This was always the process for backups created by another Veeam B&R - you had to somehow "introduce" them to Veeam B&R.
IFCIT
Novice

Post by IFCIT »

Yes, but "introducing" them used to be a simple browse of folders from the <Browse> button on the dialog. That is now gone, and the <Add VM> only has the two choices I mention above, neither of which take you quickly to your local folders.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There was no ability to browse local folders in this dialog in previous versions. What you always had to do was import backups (unless they were created by the same Veeam B&R instance) using the Import Backup button on the ribbon - this is where you saw the Browse button, I believe.