Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
benjamin.li
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jingyi Li

Tape jobs succeeded instantly but not really

Post by benjamin.li »

Dear support team

I'm migrating our backup policies from CommVault to Veeam. The disk backups are completed and work well on Veeam, and we're trying to do the same thing to the tape backups.

The issue: create GSF media pool->create tape job using the GSF media pool->confirm, the job successfully completed in less than 3 seconds and I can view it from the history, but I couldn't find any evidence to show the job is actually finished. The report showed no IO rate.

Here's how I did it. Firstly deconfigure the tape device on CommVault, do Inventory and Catalog on Veeam, some tapes keep alerting "failed to inventory..., maybe used by some other application". I checked the documentation and erased all tapes on Veeam, and marked all the unrecognised ones "Free". Then I created a GSF media pool using those free tapes. And the issue appears.

I tried to restore VM from the tape, but I couldn't find a tape option under Home->Backups, there are Disk and Disk(imported).

Thanks for your help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape jobs succeeded instantly but not really

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community benjamin.li,

Can you please clarify if you have any disk backup files created for the jobs set as a source for GFS tape job? Thanks!