Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas

Windows Agent backup domain controller

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

We have a physical domain controller, and we use the agent to backup this server. As of today the user that runs the backup agent is part of Domain Admins, but we would like to not have the user in Domain Admin. How can we accomplish this, on regular servers we have a account that is part of Local Administrator group.

For information we have 3 domain controllers, site A = domain controller1(physical) and domain controller 2(virtual). Site B = domain controller3(physical)

How do you backup your domain controllers, may be we should just backup the domain controller that has FSMO roles ? and not all 3 ?

Thanks for reply.

/Andreas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Windows Agent backup domain controller

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Andreas,

To perform application aware backup agent account must be a local administrator on the machine but it's not required to use domain admin. Can you create a backup service account and add it to the administrators group for the machines you are about to protect with agents? Thanks!
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Yes I know I have to add the service account to the local administrator group on each machine, but what do I do with the domain controller ? Since a domain controller does not have local administrator group, it seems like I must add it to domain admins, and then they have control over the domain.

/R
Andreas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Andreas,

Sounds right (sorry, somehow forgot the limitation that DCs do not have local admin group). Cheers!