Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
RichiRS
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ricardo Rios

Extremely slow virtual machine recovery

Post by RichiRS »

Good afternoon, I am recovering a virtual machine that has failed us through Veeam and the speed of recovery is extremely high, much more than the speed of the backup. I am recovering a virtual machine with 310Gb in use and approximately it will take about 8 hours, which is totally unacceptable to continue with an acceptable work activity in case of disaster. I attach an image of the restoration speed so they can see the data.
The backup is hosted on a Synology NAS that is connected to the server through a Gigabit LAN.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Extremely slow virtual machine recovery

Post by foggy »

Hi Ricardo, the restore speed is indeed slow. Since there are no bottleneck stats for restore jobs, it's pretty hard to guess where the bottleneck is, so I recommend asking support for assistance in reviewing your setup and identifying the slowest link during restore. To identify the bottleneck yourself, you can try using some other storage as a backup repository, to check if your NAS is the culprit. Btw, do you have Windows dedupe enabled there?
RichiRS
Novice

Post by RichiRS »

Hello, I think that this is not activated since in the reports of the copies it appears with the value x1,0
As for trying to make the copy in another site is not viable because our client has no more infrastructure to make the copy to verify if the speed is appropriate. It only has one server where the virtual machines are hosted and 1 NAS where those backups are hosted.

I have made uploading a file (600Mb) to my datastorage from one of the pcs and it takes approximately 1 and a half minutes.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I didn't mean Veeam dedupe (that appears in e-mail reports), but rather Windows dedupe on the volume mapped as a backup repository. Simple file copy cannot be compared to a restore process, moreover, you're copying not from the repository but from some other server. I encourage you to contact support for a closer look.
RichiRS
Novice

Post by RichiRS »

It can have something to do that the unit where the backups are hosted is configured as NFS / CFIS and not as ISCSI ?.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Even if we compare direct file copy with restore process (that has additional processing logic), we will see that it's NAS performance that is main suspect here:
I have made uploading a file (600Mb) to my datastorage from one of the pcs and it takes approximately 1 and a half minutes.
Performance: 600Mb/1.5 minutes = 400 Mb/minute
Restore Process: 120 GB (amount of data to restore) * 1024/400 = 307.2 / 60 ~ 5 hours (plus additional logic, etc.)

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

RichiRS wrote: Jun 10, 2019 3:27 pm It can have something to do that the unit where the backups are hosted is configured as NFS / CFIS and not as ISCSI ?.
How the repository is actually configured? What gateway server is being utilized?