Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BorgIndak
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Microsoft Update in Virtual Lab

Post by BorgIndak »

I have a virtual lab sandbox that I have setup and although I have the proxy setup where the VM's in the lab can get to the internet through a web browser it does not appear I can run windows update on any of my clients. Is there a way to get this to work properly?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Microsoft Update in Virtual Lab

Post by wishr »

Hi BorgIndak,

Could you please make sure the communication is possible? This WSUS guide might help.

Thanks
BorgIndak
Novice

Post by BorgIndak »

I'm not using WSUS server in my test environment. I have a couple windows 10 clients and even 2012 R2 server in my test environment that I want to do Windows update on but I get the a Code 8024401C. I had changed IE to use the proxy appliance that my lab uses so I am able to use IE and browse the internet, but windows update fails. I have also tried following this article but it also didn't work.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e5b16555ce
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Are you able to access the Windows Update site using IE? Also, this set of explanations might shed some light.
BorgIndak
Novice

Post by BorgIndak »

Well I am starting to think I have things configured properly since my one 2012 r2 server finally started pulling in updates, but downloading extremely slow. The one update is about a 12 MB windows defender definition and it is at 35% after 20 minutes. Browsing to any websites are also extremely slow and timeout half the time, but in production environment the internet is fast.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Of course, a slight speed decrease is always expected when using a web-proxy, but it should not be significant.

The first thing I'd like to check is latency and network speed. You may use https://www.speedtest.net/ or any other 3-rd party tool (may be useful to do the test from both VM and proxy). Then, you may want to check the stability of the network between the VM and proxy, between proxy and gateway (use common "ping" troubleshooting, with max packet size - 1450). Depending on the results, we should be able to decide which component should be investigated next. You may also raise a support request and continue troubleshooting with the help of our engineers.

Also, I'd like to ask you why you are installing Windows Updates in a Virtual Lab, especially from the internet? Is there a specific need for this?

Thanks