Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kaz_
Lurker
Liked: never

Help required about backups from remote sites to main through VPN.

Post by Kaz_ »

Hello everyone,

I currently have something that is working perfectly fine but not meeting my expectation so, as I would like to modify my environment, I find myself completely lost between products and licensing.

What I have today:
1 main location with two hypervisors (hyper-v) backed up through Veeam B&R (Licenced per socket, standard edition) on a NAS and 15 little site across the country with one physical server on each site backed up on a NAS through Veeam Agent (Free edition). Every location is connected through VPN with SLOW connections (between 2M – 10 M).

What I would like to have tomorrow:
Every remote sites backup up on their NAS and on the main location NAS.

What I don’t know is:
- Should I use Veeam Agent or Veeam B&R on remote sites to accomplish that
- Can I stay with the free version of Veeam Agent (or B&R community) to do that ?
- Should it be a Backup to the main location or a copy job ?
- When it does a backup (or copy job) to the main site, when it’s a full backup, does it copy everything through the vpn? Can I do an always incremental job?
- I don’t completely understand of how the WAN accelerator work but I guess it would be exactly what I need in this situation. What I don’t know is if every side should be licenced for it to work.

To make it short, I’m lost in the middle of all those functionality and licensing.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Help required about backups from remote sites to main through VPN.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
Kaz_ wrote:What I would like to have tomorrow:
Every remote sites backup up on their NAS and on the main location NAS.
If you want to keep using the existing config, then you will need to upgrade your Veeam Agent to a paid edition to enable the functionality of having multiple jobs configured on the Agent.
Kaz_ wrote:- Should I use Veeam Agent or Veeam B&R on remote sites to accomplish that
I would recommend using an existing Veeam Agent since you already have it there.
Kaz_ wrote:- Can I stay with the free version of Veeam Agent (or B&R community) to do that ?
Veeam B&R community edition is limited to 10 instances and given that you have 15 sites, then I would recommend switching to a paid edition of Veeam Agent. Here is a comparison chart (look at backup options section) for different editions of Veeam Agent.
Kaz_ wrote:- Should it be a Backup to the main location or a copy job ?
If it is going to be performed by Veeam Agent, then it will be just two jobs.
Kaz_ wrote:- When it does a backup (or copy job) to the main site, when it’s a full backup, does it copy everything through the vpn? Can I do an always incremental job?
You can do incremental runs, that's correct (regardless of whether it is a Veeam Agent job or backup copy job set up in Veeam B&R).
Kaz_ wrote:- I don’t completely understand of how the WAN accelerator work but I guess it would be exactly what I need in this situation. What I don’t know is if every side should be licenced for it to work.
WAN acceleration allows you to optimize data traffic and it is available starting from the Enterprise edition of Veeam B&R > Veeam Backup & Replication: Editions Comparison

Thank you!