Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TT-DanielG
Service Provider
Liked: never

MSP Split up Jobs

Post by TT-DanielG »

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding our backups. We are an MSP that houses several hundred clients. My predecessor split the backups into per client and also into application aware or not. These means that we have over 400 jobs at the moment. Best practice I have read that you should limit backups to 100 VM's per job but at the moment some jobs only have maybe 5 VM's.

Would it be better that we merge clients into several jobs? We don't work with per-VM backup at the moment as we don't have Veeam Enterprise. What would you recommend? We notice that our backups take quite long and our backup server is congested and I would like improve the performance of our backups.

Any recommendations would be great. If other fellow MSP admins would share their insight on how they do it, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: MSP Split up Jobs

Post by veremin »

Kindly, apply to the VCSP forum user group, as this topic will be moved to the dedicated SP forum shortly.

As to general recommendations, I wouldn't mix VMs coming from different customers within single job.

Thanks!