Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sfaits
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Backup Last chain to Tape continues to grab more

Post by sfaits »

I have a single backup to tape job that has several B2D jobs associated with it. The job is configured to backup the Last full chain, including any incremental. For some Its about 100TB of data being pushed to a single LTO7 drive in MSL2024 robot. The first few times this jobs ran, it completed in about 4-5 days without any issue.

Now when it runs it successfully write out some of the B2D jobs, goes on to the next one, then sees that one of the B2D jobs it completed has changed and starts writing that one to Tape again. This makes the job run longer which means it keeps seeing changes to B2D jobs it completed. This continues until the job fails, I run out of tapes, or I cancel the job.

How can I get the Tape job to push the last backup chain to tape and ignore newer sets?

Thank you much,
William :?:
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Last chain to Tape continues to grab more

Post by Dima P. »

Hello William,

Unfortunately that behavior is by design (tape job restarts the task whenever it sees new restore points being created). To workaround the issue you can split the source jobs into smaller backup to tape jobs.

P.S. This behavior has been discussed with RnD folks and we plan to make the changes in the upcoming versions.
sfaits
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Post by sfaits »

Thank you Dmitry!

We are now looking into splitting it up into 4 smaller jobs and spreading the 13 B2D jobs among them.

One question...
When the job detects a new restore point being added, is this only for a completed chain or any restore point?
I have four B2D jobs that run every day, Active Fulls once a week and incremental the other 6 days; I am not clear on whether those will continually add to the tape job or not (if so I can separate those out more.)

Thanks again!

William
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

When the job detects a new restore point being added, is this only for a completed chain or any restore point?
When the restore point is being created by the source job (to be precise when vm or agent job finalizes the backup activity).