Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

SQL Staging Server Questions scenarios.

Post by StevenMeier »

Hi Folks.

We run Veeam in a workgroup model , so nothing joined to our AD domain.

everything works fine except for when needing to create a SQL staging Server to use the Veeam explorers for SQL or sharepoint. (which the business is keen to try out)
I am in the early stages of this so I thought I would ask if anyone has been down this rabbit hole and emerged with a "solution".
I have read in MS SQL forums ways to authenticate from boxes in untrusted domains to SQL boxes so basically workarounds and it seems possible in theory.

But my question is has anyone done it for Veeam and the explorers and had it work and how ?

I was planning to use our Veeam mgmt Server which has a full installation of SQL just as a test and Proof of concept and if worked go from there.

Would be interested to hear from folks that have been there and done that.

Cheers
Steve
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SQL Staging Server Questions scenarios.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
local full SQL is the easiest way, yes. You can even use SQL authentication instead of Windows authentication as SQL staging server for Veeam. So whatever you do, it's not a big deal :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

Re: SQL Staging Server Questions scenarios.

Post by StevenMeier »

Yep I have got it working

Backup Servers (Veeam in workgroup mode) using local account(s) on each box for Veeam to use. 2016 Staging Server on the Veeam mgmt. Server

Working a treat so far doing sharepoint and sql restores.