Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Surebackup & Surereplica features & AV scans

Post by zadrian »

I have a few surebackup jobs and a few surereplica jobs (HQ to DR replication & HQ to HQ replication). One job per VM....total of 50 backups (reverse increment) and 12 replica.

We have installed 1x Virtual lab per ESXi hosts (5 ESXi hosts in HQ & 2 ESXi hosts in DR, all using same vCenter using VMware Std 6.7U2).

1. It seems surebackup can only run once per host as each of the virtual lab cannot start if it is in use, so we have to queue the jobs but we cannot seem to schedule surebackup jobs to run after the previous surebackup job completes (the surebackup jobs are not in the "job lists")

2. It seems surereplica can only run once per host as each of the virtual lab cannot start if it is in use, so we have to queue the jobs but we cannot seem to schedule surereplica jobs to run after the previous surereplica job completes (the surereplica jobs are not in the "job lists")

3. We are using agentless AV, so how do we run the AV scans in the surebackup and/or surereplica jobs ?

#1 & #2 are very similar but we have VMs of different sizes, so I have tried running the surebackup jobs after the respective backup jobs completes but the next backup job can be a very small VM and the backup job ends before the surebackup job completes and the "next surebackup" job could not start.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Surebackup & Surereplica features & AV scans

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1 & 2: not sure what the question is, but you are correct. I suggest re-thinking the scheduling to avoid that.

3: you need to have an antivirus that supports management through CLI

Best regards,
Hannes
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian »

Questions....as maybe unclear in post...
1. How to enable such that more than 1 surebackup or surereplica can run with only 1 virtual lab ?
2. It seems that surebackup only requires one virtual lab per cluster on each site, but surereplica needs one virtual lab on the host that the replica is residing
3. I cannot cascade surebackup or surereplica jobs one after another by using the "run after" as surebackup and surereplica are not listed as jobs (I can only list backup & replication jobs).

4. If I am using agent-less AV like sophos or TMDS, how to set the AV scans ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

1. not possible. but you can create multiple virtual labs
2. Yes, because it runs only on one host in most cases. For SureReplica you can use the "advanced multi host" virtual lab with distributed vSwitch. If you don't have a dvSwitch, then you are correct. See the vSwitch Veeam creates on the ESX host in single host mode. That's the reason.
3. yes, because cascading is not a good idea :-) I didn't test it for SureBackup jobs, but for normal jobs you can get the same result by starting one job at 03:00am, 03:02am, 03:04am and it will queue all the jobs in the correct order. by cascading you would run into the issue that if the first job fails, the other will never start

4. as said before: if you want to use the Veeam integration, you need to have a AV scanner that has a command line interface. I expect that ever vendor should have that. I linked the "how" above. Just add the executable to the XML file as described in helpcenter