Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Cliffb
Novice
Liked: never

Ideas for backup solution

Post by Cliffb »

Hi All
Please, if this is not the correct topic area, Let me know and I'll post in the correct area

I have just taken over a site that has 5 HyperV servers and 1 windows 2016 host. the VM's are hosted on local internal server disks and the data is on a synology NAS which is connected via iSCSI to the server.

Currently the Host and VM's are backed up to external 2TB usb using Veeam backup and replication, then the backup files are replicated to dropbox
the 12TB+ of data is ONLY replicated to dropbox, Veeam is not backing up data.

This is one site with the option of putting something at the Bosses home (office and home have 900/900 internet connection)
I need to get rid of the Dropbox 'solution' as it is very very slow and I just hope the server/NAS does not die as recovery would be a long time...

I have looked at Baas but the cost is NZ$1200 + VMs which is out of our current budget.
I have also toyed with the idea of a second NAS and using synology backup software to replicate, but as the NAS is an iSCSI LUN the software cant see it.

So I am thinking so far of a second NAS at the remote site to backup to (dont currently have a backup of data as its backed up to dropbox)...
is this a good idea?
would I need a site to site VPN? (have fortigate firewall at office)
or can I backup direct over the internet?

I need it fairly simple at Bosses home as they have small fingers running around and Simple NAS would be ideal

been pulling out what's left of my hair over this for a few days so any suggestions/solutions are greatly appreciated

thanks

Cliff
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Ideas for backup solution

Post by foggy »

Hi Cliff, could you please clarify regarding "12TB+ of data" - is it just a file store? Since currently, Veeam B&R backs up VMs only (our NAS backup solution is going to reach a beta stage in July). There's Veeam Agent for Windows that can be used to back up this data though.
Cliffb
Novice

Post by Cliffb »

Hi

Yes the 12TB of data is presented to the server through iSCSI so looks like a local disk to the server, I can back it up just like any other disk in the server, I just have no where to back it up to, hence my post

thanks
Cliffb
Novice

Post by Cliffb »

Ok so my current thinking is

add some more disks to my NAS and backup all servers and data to those disks using Veeam.
then use a backup copy job to replicate this off site over an Ipsec VPN to a remote site onto another NAS, over a 900/900 (both ends same provider) internet link

will this work?

any thoughts
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is a viable approach.