Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
adelino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Al De

Linux Repository with NFS mounted Azure Blob Storage supported?

Post by adelino »

Hello,

Has anyone setup a Linux Backup Repository using an NFS mount pointed at Azure Blob Storage as the Backup folder? Microsoft supports mounting blob storage on Linux using blobfuse (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... iner-linux).

Also I have seen several posts that Veeam B&R backing up direct to Blob isn't supported but would this configuration be supported?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Linux Repository with NFS mounted Azure Blob Storage supported?

Post by veremin »

Are you planning to use it as a primary landing zone or it's OK for you to offload there only old restore points that fall out of operation restore window? Thanks!
adelino
Influencer

Post by adelino »

We have a primary landing zone on site with 7 daily incrementals and a weekly full, and backup copy job to a secondary landing zone in a different physical building with 7 daily incrementals and a weekly full. Idea was to have this another backup copy job copying data daily into this blob storage so in case of DR, we would have a copy of all data to restore from. In the Azure Blob storage maintain 2-3 months of data, some incrementals in the active backup chain.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Such configuration is not supported officially, as we haven't tested it, and personally I cannot remember anyone using the similar approach.

So, it might or might not work, but should something happen with a backup data, our support team will not be able to assist you with troubleshooting process.

Thanks!
vtptech
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by vtptech »

adelino wrote: Mar 15, 2019 7:23 pm We have a primary landing zone on site with 7 daily incrementals and a weekly full, and backup copy job to a secondary landing zone in a different physical building with 7 daily incrementals and a weekly full. Idea was to have this another backup copy job copying data daily into this blob storage so in case of DR, we would have a copy of all data to restore from. In the Azure Blob storage maintain 2-3 months of data, some incrementals in the active backup chain.
I know I'm reviving a dead thread. I can't figure out a way to PM.

Did you have any luck with this configuration? I'm currently trying the same thing.
adelino
Influencer

Post by adelino »

I sent you a private message but we are utilizing a Windows Repository onsite with Capacity Tier to Azure Blob Storage. We setup the Scale Out Backup Repository with a 0-day offload policy as well as with Daily Synthetic fulls to get day-old backups into Blob storage.