Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
gaia
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eddie

Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to 192.168.1.x Error: Failed to get path for

Post by gaia »

This is a new install as of today, so all versions are current. Adding an Ubuntu 18.04.2 agent (already installed) to B&R fails with

Code: Select all

Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to 192.168.1.x Error: Failed to get path for 'veeamagentid' utility for OS platform 'Unknown'
B&R logs in as user veeam, shell /bin/bash, with the following modified sudoers file (since the KB article references some binaries that on Ubuntu are in different paths than the article states)

Defaults:veeam !requiretty
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/hostname
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/uname
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/arch
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/cat
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/test
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/mkdir
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/rmdir
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/chown
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/whoami
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/id
# veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /tmp/*/veeamagentid
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/veeamagentid 
# Agent config/backup
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/veeamconfig
# Agent deployment
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/modinfo
# veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/rpm
# FLR Restore via console
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/sh
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/touch
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/chmod
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /tmp/VeeamAgent*-*-*-*
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/rm
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/ps
veeam ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/mv
I tried leaving the default

/tmp/*/veeamagentid
, which doesn't exist there, and added

/usr/sbin/veeamagentid 
, where it actually is, to no avail.

How do I add this physical standalone linux machine to B&R?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to 192.168.1.x Error: Failed to get path for

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the easiest way to find out is monitoring /var/log/auth.log where you can see which command fails.

I was able to install on Debian 9 with this sudoers file. Ubuntu should be similar. But as said, just check auth.log

Defaults:username !requiretty
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/hostname
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/uname
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/arch
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/cat
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/test
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/mkdir
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/rmdir
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/chown
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/whoami
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/id
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /tmp/*/veeamagentid

# Agent config/backup
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/veeamconfig

# Agent deployment Debian 9
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/modinfo
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/whoami
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/systemctl
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/arch
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/dpkg-query
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/dpkg
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt-get
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/sh

If you have a final sudoers file for Ubuntu 18.04, please share it with the community :-)

Thanks,
Hannes

PS: from a security perspective it makes not sense anyway as you have to allow /bin/sh...
gaia
Influencer

Re: Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to 192.168.1.x Error: Failed to get path for

Post by gaia »

I get

Jun  3 09:20:56 box sshd[2567]: Unable to negotiate with 192.168.1.x port 6590: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 [preauth]
Jun  3 09:20:56 box sshd[2569]: Accepted password for veeam from 192.168.1.x port 6591 ssh2
Jun  3 09:20:56 box sshd[2569]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user veeam by (uid=0)
Jun  3 09:20:56 box systemd-logind[1187]: New session 4 of user veeam.
Jun  3 09:20:56 box systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user veeam by (uid=0)
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo:    veeam : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/whoami
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by veeam(uid=0)
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo:    veeam : command not allowed ; TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl is-active veeamservice
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo:    veeam : command not allowed ; TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl start veeamservice
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo:    veeam : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/hostname
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by veeam(uid=0)
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo:    veeam : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/uname -v
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sudo:    veeam : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/uname -r
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sshd[2646]: Received disconnect from 192.168.1.x port 6591:11: Connection terminated by the client.
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sshd[2646]: Disconnected from user veeam 192.168.1.x port 6591
Jun  3 09:20:57 box sshd[2569]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user veeam
Jun  3 09:20:57 box systemd-logind[1187]: Removed session 4.
Jun  3 09:20:57 box systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user veeam
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

so I added '/bin/systemctl' to the sudoers file. now i get no more permission denied errors in auth.log.

but B&R still gives me the same error about 'veeamagentid'. Notice that

even though '/usr/sbin/veeamagentid' has been added to sudoers, i cannot run veeamagentid without sudo when logged in as veeam. so veeamagentid needs permissions elsewhere to successfully query the agent id. but none of this shows up in auth.log
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I added a lot more for Debian. any issues in other (veeam) logs?

Just to remind you: from a security perspective it makes no sense to reduce the sudo commands. So I'm not sure whether it's worth to investigate further.
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

Nothing shows up in the veeam logs.

Care to elaborate why restricting which commands the veeam user can sudo, as opposed to any command, makes no sense?

Thank you!
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

also, using

Defaults:veeam !requiretty
veeam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

in sudo doesn't work either. it can't find veeamagentid, per the (useful) error message. It is not a permissions problem.

thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
okay, if you cannot even deploy with root permissions, then it is time to involve support. Please post the case number here for reference.

About your security question:
HannesK wrote:PS: from a security perspective it makes not sense anyway as you have to allow /bin/sh...

Best regards,
Hannes
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

Case # 03597594

thank you Hannes
esquia
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Esquia

Post by esquia »

Hello everyone,

I received the same error on one of my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS servers. My other Ubuntu servers installed the Veeam agent and backup with no errors. As prior post mention, the error is not attributed to permissions; which is true. After reviewing the /var/log/syslog file I noted the error following errors,

[time stamp] gpgconf: running /usr/bin/gpg-agent failed (exitcode=2): General error
[time stamp] gpgconf: fatal error (exit status 1)

After researching the gpg-agent and attempting to start the agent to no avail; I realized that I was able to start the agent for an account with a home directory. The account I am using did not have a home directory. I executed the command mkhomedir_helper <username> and /usr/bin/gpg-agent. Afterwards, I was able to install the agent with no errors.

Hope this assists,
Michael
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

I think you mean the home dir for the user the agent installs under (in your case, I installed as root).

There is also the user B&R uses to connect to the machine (in my case, not root, but has sudo privileges)
gaia
Influencer

Post by gaia »

Hannes, AFAIK /bin/sh is only required for restores.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I tested it at that day of my post and /bin/sh was required for installation on Debian. That might be different on other distributions.

Yes, I also remember /bin/sh being required for restore.
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

Post by baber »

Today I have faced with this error , also my os distribution is Redhat 7.6 . I had to say it was working last week but 2-3 days it is appearing this error

how did you solved this isuue?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

@baber : please contact support. As mentioned earlier in a private message: please do not ask about technical issues without opening a case first!