Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
horhota
Influencer
Liked: never

Periodic Full Image backup

Post by horhota »

We are a non-profit(charity) who have started using Veeam Agent for Windows Free edition. Our previous software(now retired/withdrawn) allowed us to make a full image(computer) backup periodically but Veaam agent for windows, free edition, allows only one job to be configured. We have set that up to be a daily backup of user files and it gives us what we want 90% of the time. However once a quarter or every six months I would like to have a full image backup. I've found different posts about "hacking" the software to get the ability to have multiple jobs but this option doesn't work for the free edition. Is there any way that I can get the program to do a full backup periodically, other than manually changing the backup job and then changing it back? I've looked in the folders as well as in the registry for any backup job configuration data but can't find anything. If I could find the daily configuration file I could just set up a Windows scheduler to save and replace it with a full image backup job every 3 or 6 months. We are a non-profit organization where every dollar is stretched as much as possible to feed the community and paying hundreds of dollars for a function only used a few times a year is not practical. Thanks for any assistance or suggestions with this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Periodic Full Image backup

Post by Gostev »

Hello, if you only need it every 3 or 6 months - what about using the ad hoc backup functionality in standalone full mode periodically? Thanks!
horhota
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by horhota »

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. It is a better solution than I had. Do you know if a standalone full backup can be run from a command line prompt or windows scheduled task? I appreciate your time and assistance!
jdrch
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by jdrch »

horhota wrote: Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm We are a non-profit(charity) who have started using Veeam Agent for Windows Free edition. Our previous software(now retired/withdrawn) allowed us to make a full image(computer) backup periodically but Veaam agent for windows, free edition, allows only one job to be configured. We have set that up to be a daily backup of user files and it gives us what we want 90% of the time. However once a quarter or every six months I would like to have a full image backup. I've found different posts about "hacking" the software to get the ability to have multiple jobs but this option doesn't work for the free edition. Is there any way that I can get the program to do a full backup periodically, other than manually changing the backup job and then changing it back? I've looked in the folders as well as in the registry for any backup job configuration data but can't find anything. If I could find the daily configuration file I could just set up a Windows scheduler to save and replace it with a full image backup job every 3 or 6 months. We are a non-profit organization where every dollar is stretched as much as possible to feed the community and paying hundreds of dollars for a function only used a few times a year is not practical. Thanks for any assistance or suggestions with this.
Backing up user files by themselves is a waste of Veeam. The documentation specifically says that this is the least recommended backup mode (Entire computer, and then volume are the 2 preferred ones.)

Simply switch to the "entire computer" backup mode and then set the cadence and retention policy to be equal to the period you want for full backups (the documentation explains this in great detail.) In your case, since you do daily backups, your cadence would be daily and the number of days of retention would be 180. Basically: read the documentation for backup type; everything is explained there.